Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Little Shack On The Prairie: An internship in South Dakota  (Read 5408 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Shack On The Prairie: An internship in South Dakota
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2012, 05:35:41 pm »

Wew, let this die, didn't I.

Anyway, I've been on Horse Creek Ranch for about 4 days now, and it's been great. I finally managed to get internet access up, so gimme the time to write I couple emails back home and I'll update this.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2012, 05:08:40 am »

Looking forward. Did they let you posse up and chase some cattle-rustlers yet?
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2012, 07:54:39 am »

pictures pictures pictures pictures!

Double points if you have one of you in the saddle with serape and a cold, glinty, dead-eyed stare.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2012, 11:38:58 am »

I'm eager to hear how your first time riding was. If it's anything like my first time, where my balls were pounded to a fine pulp and it sucked D:

Anyway, yeah. Let's get some badass pictures up in here.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2012, 08:55:41 pm »

Damn. Well, I'm sorry, but I moved to another ranch in Montana, and forget the power cord of my laptop in South Dakota. I'm currently sneakingly using the laptop of another intern, but I don't think I'll be able to do any updating, really. Whatever internet time I have is already spent giving news to family and friends back home, so this is dead.

Oh, and my balls are perfectly fine.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2012, 09:55:33 am »

Well crap on a stick. Where at in Montana?

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2012, 10:13:03 am »

Nine miles south of Horlowton. Anyway, off I am, we've got some kind of epidemic going on (I fous 4 dead calves yesterday), and the vets should be there soon.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2012, 10:18:14 am »

that's serious. hope you find out the cause before you lose more cattle.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2012, 10:30:12 am »

Harlowton?? Wow, you really *are* out in bumfuck nowhere now.

Fun Fact: German is still a primary language for about 15% of the population in that region. LOTS of Volga German colonists wound up out there.
Fun Fact #2: Harlowton is nestled at the base of the Crazy Mountains. (Yes, that's actually their name.) Thus, Sheb can honestly claim to be At The Mountains of Madness.  :P

Best of luck with the calves. Hopefully whatever it is is something readily containable. And doesn't involve Cthulhu.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2012, 10:57:01 am »

Nah, never roda an ATV before. I mean, I kinda expected it to be easier than a bike: after all, you've got twice the amount of wheels, amirite?

But hey, I'll have plenty time to learn there I guess. Or die trying. Or whatever. :p

One thing that jus dawned on me is that the legal drinking age is 21 over there. I'm only 20, but the legal drinking age is 16 (well, for beer and wine, 18 for liquors). Is that kind of stuff strictly enforced? I mean, not being able to drink a cold beer after a long day of hard work will suck.

If all else fails, you could try to go to Alberta or Saskatchewan in Canada (a fair distance, but not a week long trek or anything round trip from South Dakota), where the drinking ages are 18 and 19, respectively.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2012, 12:44:55 pm »

Shoot, just went looking at the calves, and we got two more death and one that is dying. He's just laying on the ground with difficulties breathing and lots of white foam aroundhis mouth.

I'm suspecting the water may be contaminated. It looks a lot like poisoning, and all of the death are in the same part of the paddock near a small stream.

Of course all of this is happening while the owner is in New Mexico and my fellow intern is in Texas for a wedding. And the manager doesn't live here and won't be there for a couple hours.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2012, 12:54:53 pm »

Yeah, that's not good. Is it just the calves, no adults? Could be the stream or I wonder if there's something growing down there like jimsonweed or monkshood.  :(

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2012, 01:04:56 pm »

Yeah, only young calves. Well, they're moved into another pasture nowm so if it's the water we should see them stop dying.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2012, 01:43:17 pm »

Guys. Guys.

Pedophile alien mutilations.
Pages: 1 2 [3]