Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Evil clouds/thralls ruining my life  (Read 829 times)

Driverman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Evil clouds/thralls ruining my life
« on: June 30, 2012, 11:06:19 am »

So there's this evil desert that borders on places with a lot of trees that I have a thing for in my world. It has about five 0-2 year old forts around the outskirts by the rivers where either everyone is dead or the only thing remaining is a bunch of evil murk thralls. These things are ridiculous. I use alerts to get everyone underground when one comes through but it'll thrall a camel/whatever and then everyone dies, no matter what my response is. I was able to kill ONE thrall, it was a baby animal of some sort, and not before a lot of people got hurt very badly -- and during the time it took me to kill it, I failed to notice the camel inside that had killed more than half of my non-military population.

One of the forts I tried to reclaim maybe four times with pure military embarks, but there is a lone evil murk thrall axedwarf that murders everything consistently. Every body part is red (or in some cases grey) but it doesn't care.

If I build a sealed off structure (with ceilings and walls) above ground, will the cloud still go through it? And what embarks aside from deserts can I find sand in? I love sand.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Evil clouds/thralls ruining my life
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 11:07:56 am »

Sand is soil, so everywhere besides mountains, a biome can have sand for soil.

As far as I know, you need both wall AND roof if you want to protect yourself completely from clouds.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 11:08:15 am »

Did your military have axes or swords? Those thrall/husk things won't go down until you bisect or decapitate them.

Driverman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 11:11:54 am »

I tried giving them axes and that was how I was able to kill one thrall. Guess I just have to get a stronger military. If the structure is completely sealed, though, can any clouds still go through it?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 11:13:58 am »

I tried giving them axes and that was how I was able to kill one thrall. Guess I just have to get a stronger military. If the structure is completely sealed, though, can any clouds still go through it?

Nope.

Speaking of 'completely sealed', remember that fortifications have holes in themselves as well.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 12:42:12 pm »

Have you tried weapon traps full of large, serrated discs? Just set up a glassmaking industry.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 12:53:19 pm »

If you want to use military to kill them, I would suggest a danger room to train them up.

Snowdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 06:02:47 pm »

Don't try to reclaim. The fortress is lost. Nothing can beat thralls even one of them will destroy any attempts to reclaim.

Kar98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 09:10:39 pm »

Have you tried weapon traps full of large, serrated discs? Just set up a glassmaking industry.
Cage traps are far more effective. The serrated disks must decapitate a head or lower/upper body for a thrall to die and I don't see this happen often with weapon traps

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 09:57:00 pm »

Remember that dwarves and animals belonging to your group, once huskified are inmune to the traps you set up. Unless you manage to immobilize them with a GCS/FB web.

Rather than weapon traps or cage traps, make a falling trap. A retractable bridge over a large pit linked to a lever.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 10:15:25 pm »

The one time I ran into husks (my first Zonnish), I had time to seal off the fort before any husks appeared. Granted, I hadn't, due to wanting to let migrant prisoners in...but I could have!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.