Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The ARMSmasters Project - Original Anime Effort  (Read 1682 times)

mwinn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
The ARMSmasters Project - Original Anime Effort
« on: July 01, 2012, 05:59:20 pm »

Hey guys! I'm a lurker around these parts and I wanted to share with all of you an effort by a small animation studio in southeastern Michigan, lead by yours truly, to develop a short film and an action-fantasy series with a blend of American comics and action anime in its pedigree.

The name of this short film is The ARMSmasters Project. I am the creator and lead artist and animator and it's a project that spun out of my senior year thesis when I was attending school to become a professional animator back in 2008.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/760823342/the-armsmasters-project-the-animated-pilot

Conceptually ARMSmasters draws equally from eastern influences of manga and anime as it does western comics and animation, particularly things such as Young Justice and Legend of Korra. I'm very excited to present it on Kickstarter, the crowd source funding site, as we're trying to raise the money to be able to support the creation of a short pilot.

I'd be glad to share more information about this effort and answer questions. We have a production blog, our kickstarter site and a facebook page. If you're not in a position to back us on Kickstarter just passing the link on to friends and family will help us get the exposure we need to get this done. I'm happy to be able to share this project with all of you and was encouraged to do so here. Thanks in advance!

Mike

https://vimeo.com/25006806

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/760823342/the-armsmasters-project-the-animated-pilot

http://thearmsmasters.blogspot.com

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: The ARMSmasters Project - Original Anime Effort
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 06:40:14 pm »

Lurker you say?

Then quick, list the four ores of iron!

mwinn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 06:55:33 pm »

*laugh* maybe more of a proto-lurker in training then. I"ve friends who rave on and on about DF and I pop in here and look around from time to time but I'm afraid I haven't absorbed it yet. :)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 06:56:09 pm »

Lurker you say?

Then quick, list the four ores of iron!
Erm, Goblins, Migrants, Human Caravans... What's the fourth?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 07:12:43 pm »

Hematite. 
-------
I dont know. I dont see anything particularly outstanding or noteworthy here, as far as animation is concern.

A world where magic is common place? Yea, seen that lots. Ancient Forgotten places that hold secret items of awesouce. Yea. Seen that a lot too. Over enthused male lead who brash headedness drives the plot into further conflict? Yea... seen that too.

On a personal level, the art style doesn't groove with me. The girl looks ugly and the proportion are to wacky for my taste.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

mwinn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 11:01:03 pm »

Hematite. 
-------
I dont know. I dont see anything particularly outstanding or noteworthy here, as far as animation is concern.

A world where magic is common place? Yea, seen that lots. Ancient Forgotten places that hold secret items of awesouce. Yea. Seen that a lot too. Over enthused male lead who brash headedness drives the plot into further conflict? Yea... seen that too.

On a personal level, the art style doesn't groove with me. The girl looks ugly and the proportion are to wacky for my taste.

All stories have been seen before. It's about the journey itself. As a creative in the Entertainment Industry - I've seen it all also. ;) This is why some things appeal to some people more then others as some are interested in revisiting concepts from a different perspective and source. You're not one of them in this case which is fair. 

As for us? We have a lot of support and interest in the story we want to tell and in the visual art style but if it does not jive with you on a personal level then that is fair. There are many, many things that I personally don't care for which other people enjoy visually and story wise and the animation so far and developed look of the short has been validated on multiple professional and fan levels so I take no issue with someone disliking it as it not appealing to their personal tastes. That said, as I was told by other forum members that this was a good place to share creative projects - to those who -are- interested please take a look or pass the link on. If Mr.Wiggles or anyone else -is- interested in the particulars of the story I'd be glad to share it via messaging so as to not clutter up this thread or forum unless requested otherwise.

Thanks!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 11:04:18 pm »

The animation is rather creepy and something is missing from it.

I cannot put my finger on it exactly but I think it is what you emphasise on.

mwinn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 11:15:01 pm »

The animation is rather creepy and something is missing from it.

I cannot put my finger on it exactly but I think it is what you emphasise on.

Hmm.. I think that is a first time I've heard it described that way?  I can say that the animation posted is a WIP So whatever you feel is missing from those brief clips could be a result of that?We'll be sure all things are revisited and polished when moving into final stages beyond this WIP Proof.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 11:17:50 pm »

I can say that the animation posted is a WIP So whatever you feel is missing from those brief clips could be a result of that?

Possibly, it could also be your animation style.

Edit addition: I didn't want to post this... dang... mostly because it could be misinterpreted: I should state, no I am not saying your style is creepy. My statement is only that it may not be fleshed out. It could be that your style leads to these unnatural movements of the characters.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 11:19:44 pm by Neonivek »

mwinn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 11:28:09 pm »

I can say that the animation posted is a WIP So whatever you feel is missing from those brief clips could be a result of that?

Possibly, it could also be your animation style.

Edit addition: I didn't want to post this... dang... mostly because it could be misinterpreted: I should state, no I am not saying your style is creepy. My statement is only that it may not be fleshed out. It could be that your style leads to these unnatural movements of the characters.

I understand. I''m open to critique and opinions and did not misunderstand.  I do have to point out that this sort of reception is a 'first' and a very wide and varied audience has laid eyes on it, including professionals, but I do need to make sure I'm gathering a full breadth of viewpoints so it's good. I've taken no offense and I'm glad you could more clearly identify what you meant.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 12:32:47 am »

First of all you applied too heavy a shadow to the blinking girl's eyes. I didn't mind seeing it with no shadows in the process video, but when the shadows were added it felt like too much, giving it a strange look.

If you're doing this all your frames from paper and scanning them in I'd suggest investing in a Cintiq or two for the studio. It's expensive ($1000 for a 12 inch one), but it's fantastic for anyone used to pencil and paper set ups and it'll cut out a lot of scanning and refining steps involved in digitizing. I'm not sure if it's really viable with 50+ people if you're just starting out, but it might be something to think about if the project takes off.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

mwinn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 12:42:19 am »

First of all you applied too heavy a shadow to the blinking girl's eyes. I didn't mind seeing it with no shadows in the process video, but when the shadows were added it felt like too much, giving it a strange look.

If you're doing this all your frames from paper and scanning them in I'd suggest investing in a Cintiq or two for the studio. It's expensive ($1000 for a 12 inch one), but it's fantastic for anyone used to pencil and paper set ups and it'll cut out a lot of scanning and refining steps involved in digitizing. I'm not sure if it's really viable with 50+ people if you're just starting out, but it might be something to think about if the project takes off.

Thanks. We'll definitely keep the suggestion in mind. Ultimately it will be a collection of different techniques used in the end but the cintiq as part of any work flow is always a benefit. :)