Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: !!Diamonds!!  (Read 2672 times)

drh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
!!Diamonds!!
« on: June 30, 2012, 04:31:58 pm »

A dragon attacked my fort and reached my trade depot, and incinerated most of the dorf caravan, those not dying to dragonfire being plated in clouds of boiling platinun, gold, and lead. The dragon has been accounted for (one of the lucky saps shot it in the heart before being fried), but now almost a season later the alcove which held the depot is filled with smoke, miasma, and magma (melted rock), besides pools of blood, grease, and melted cheese. No one, not even military, will go in or otherwise recover or dump items. Amongst the items remaining are a burning graphite sceptre, and numerous !!diamonds!!.

Questions:

Will pools of magma (as melted rocks, not "real" magma) block movement?
Do diamonds really burn in DF, or what else is going on? There's an awful amount of smoke, more than a scepter would seem to account for.
How long can I expect the graphite sceptre to burn before eroding away?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: !!Diamonds!!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 05:11:57 pm »

This is what fire suppression systems are for. If you don't have something that can be used for fire suppression* in your trade depot, you're technically not trying hard enough.

*Magma also works as a fire suppression system, when objects are completely submerged in it.

If the objects are artifacts, they will continue burning until they are put out. Otherwise, they will wear away after a while, which may be a few months. As of the latest update, intelligent creatures (and I think most animals), if magma-immune, will not enter a tile that is dangerously hot, so if a tile filled with "a pool of magma" is dangerously hot, then dwarves will not enter it.

Edit: Yes, diamonds do burn in Dwarf Fortress. Also if graphite has a heat-damage point, it will become damaged and disintegrate. Maybe being on fire also causes disintegration after some time, but I am not entirely sure. As long as the items are not in containers, you can put them out by submerging them in water.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 05:23:43 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 05:14:07 pm »

Never. Graphite doesn't melt. Try designating a pond zone. Water should cool the stone, though I don't think the items will cease burning.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 05:52:37 pm »

!!BURNING!!

and

!!SUPERHEATED!!

Are pretty much interchangeable at that temperature.

Have a Dwarf engrave something with those diamonds, for fun.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 06:02:37 pm »

Have a Dwarf engrave something with those diamonds, for fun.
Urist McDorf has created Cloister of oils, a !!diamond!! engraving. On the !!diamond!! there is a picture of dwarves. The dwarves are burning. This relates to the burning alive of Urist MacDorf while engraving Cloister of oils, the !!diamond!! engraving.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 06:02:52 pm »

I had a diamond behemoth walk into magma in arena mode and left it alone for thirty minutes to find it still on fire. So it's not going to go out any time soon.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 06:33:53 pm »

Just pour water over the thing using screw pumps and some walls to channel the water onto the depot.

It helps having clean water tanks/reserves in places where fires can happen or be otherwise a mayor problem like magma forges, main stairways, hospitals, dining hall, and trade depots.
Mist generators may work as well, though I dont know what happens when mist touches lava or burning !!objects!!.