Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why you no carry your weapons?  (Read 932 times)

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why you no carry your weapons?
« on: June 29, 2012, 06:19:29 am »

After watching my Elite Marksdwarf attempt to punch out a Deer, I've decided I'm not arranging my barracks right, or something.  How do you insure that your military dwarfs equip their armor and weapons before fighting enemies?
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
Re: Why you no carry your weapons?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 06:24:23 am »

I've just had my marksdorfs beating enemies to death with thier leather bucklers.

Anyway, go to the military tab, press e to go the the equip screen, shift+w for weapons and either assign specific weapons or just crossbow.

Also, the unseen uniforms of miners, woodcutters and hunters interfere with military equipment.
Which is a shame because hunting is one of the best ways I know to train marksdwarfship.
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 07:27:10 am »

Hunting is a good way to train marksdwarves, but having marksdwarf squads shoot at animals manually (use attack rectangle) is just as effective and works on animal men too.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 07:55:54 am »

note that soldiers need time to pick up equipment too, sometimes a lot of time
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 08:40:59 am »

It takes them a long time to wander around and pick up all their equipment. I allow a month or two for them to get that done. Before they have picked it all up, they sometimes turn up for training with 1 sock, a mitten, and a spear, stuff like that. If you send them to fight before they are equipped, they'll get into fistfights and stuff.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 09:12:43 am »

Thanks for all the help.

I checked on this particular dwarf.  I had assigned it a specific weapon, but it came up listed as "no weapon found" or something.  I have a problem with weapon bins being hauled all over the place.

But a follow up question:  How do I make sure a dwarf has his full kit on before he charges into battle?  Is there a "get your act together" command I don't know about? Or should they do it automatically if they aren't too close to the fighting?
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 09:29:26 am »

You have to plan ahead, give them plenty of time to get equipped.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 12:58:29 pm »

well, in the military equipment screen you can see if everything was available, in inventory you can see if he actually got everything. Besides that, no, no way to be sure
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

snoop

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 03:40:43 pm »

Also if you're cycling training and inactive periods, make sure they remain in uniform when inactive.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 03:43:33 pm »

But a follow up question:  How do I make sure a dwarf has his full kit on before he charges into battle?  Is there a "get your act together" command I don't know about?

Issuing a "Station" order usually does the trick.  Or it used to, before the no-clothing-trauma and shaped-caps changes were made.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz