Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't seem to properly install LNP/DF  (Read 1062 times)

Furice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Can't seem to properly install LNP/DF
« on: June 28, 2012, 08:04:47 am »

Hey guys,
My roommate told me I should give Dwarf Fortress a shot, and it looks really interesting. One problem - I downloaded the Lazy Newb Package, and it doesn't seem to be able to find any DF init files. There is an error upon launching LNP, none of the options list "NO" or "YES" like I see on tutorials, "Init File Editor" brings up an error that says "Cannot find file /data/init/init.txt", and "Play Dwarf Fortress!" makes an error that says the system cannot find RunProgram.bat.

I'd really like to play this game - can someone please help me figure these technical issues out?

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't seem to properly install LNP/DF
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 08:11:14 am »

Run it as administrator, I had the same problem.
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

Furice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 08:13:38 am »

I tried that - still the same problem :-\

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 08:19:30 am »

If that doesn't work, then you should reinstall. It sounds like the necessary file paths were broken somehow.
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 08:49:45 am »

Did you extract all the files and folders from the archive?
Feeling down? Click Here!

Furice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 11:00:42 am »

I have tried deleting and re-extracting. Am I supposed to extract any of it to a specific place? I put everything in the archive in C:/game stuff/Dwarf Fortress

It's acting as if LNP is not linking up with any of my game data for some reason - can't find any of the necessary files, and it doesn't even have a path defined for the client, apparently. I'm no coder, so I'm not sure what I could modify to make it work :-\
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:02:41 am by Furice »

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 11:04:32 am »

Doesn't matter where, as long as the paths stay the same as they are in the archive.

Go to the folder where you extracted to, and look into data/init folder for files called init.txt and d_init.txt

If either those files or folders don't exist then something went wrong either during download or during extraction. Try downloading from another mirror?

Also, post for LNP is here : http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.msg1319616 you'll probably be able to get more help there.
Feeling down? Click Here!

Furice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 11:10:05 am »

Could it be that I'm not sure if I have the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5? I just saw the note on the LNP thread that it's required, but it's unclear whether or not it's required for the non-advanced version.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 11:17:41 am »

That's a possibility. If you're into games at all, be they DF or not, you should probably have .NET installed.

Furice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 11:21:26 am »

Success! Installing the .NET framework (which, in probably 10 years of MMO and single-player gaming, I've never seen as a requirement) fixed the issue it seems. I'll post back if there are any problems, but LNP is syncing up now and I'm about to start my first fortress :-)

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 11:39:31 am »

Success! Installing the .NET framework (which, in probably 10 years of MMO and single-player gaming, I've never seen as a requirement) fixed the issue it seems. I'll post back if there are any problems, but LNP is syncing up now and I'm about to start my first fortress :-)
Move to the dwarf mode discussion and keep us posted of the Fun you encounter ;D
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 12:08:29 pm »

And feel free to ask any question you like, though I would like to point you to:

1: the wiki. Some games have a wiki that has info and some hints. This one contains workflows, material information, bug information, strategy guides, tutorials, useful links, oh, and dry data on stuff too.

2: your friend. If he got you to play this game, it's only fair to torture him back in revenge.

3: search function of the forum. You're most likely not the only one nor the first to have a problem like you have. Use target words, not "I have migrants stuck at map edge as friendly" but "migrant bug" (after all, most people figure it's a bug).

4: DF 0.34 Questions and answers thread. If you think it's a simple question and it'll take one person one minute to write the answer and it's not interesting enough that it'll turn into a debate or story-time, use this thread

for other questions keep in mind this:

5: Information is everything. The more you tell us, the sooner we can help you. There are often a lot of possible causes for a problem, the more you can eliminate for us, the faster we zone down to the problem. As an example to show the difference:
"My smelter isn't working"
"My smelter isn't working. I have a furnace operator, there is fuel and smeltable ore, it's not in a burrow other than the military alert one and the workshop has no preference settings. There is nothing blocking pathing."

I'm sure I don't have to explain more.

note to self; copy this so you can just paste it occasionally
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.