Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist's left hand is missing!  (Read 515 times)

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
Urist's left hand is missing!
« on: June 27, 2012, 10:18:03 pm »

Actually, it not. It was cut off by a goblin master thief in a hit and run attack as it was trying to flee after being discovered by the black bear I have pastured right in the middle of my caravan entrance.
I made sure to keep an eye on it, the hand not the gobbo, and now I have a tile to keep it in. I will build a shrine for it at some point.

Anyway, now that the champion of the Bronzemark (and my most favourite dwarf) is missing a hand, how much of an affect will this have on her combat abilities?
Since she is a speardwarf I removed her shield from her equip options, figuring that dorfs carry weapons in their right hand. She's not bad at dodging at least, and the shield didn't seem to be getting that much use even when she was dual-handed.

Grasp impaired, yes obviously, but how much impaired?
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Urist's left hand is missing!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 11:40:17 pm »

Dwarves can carry a shield and weapon with only one hand. In fact, if you abuse the game a little, you can get your dwarves carrying quite a few weapons with one finger.

Losing a limb in battle (or otherwise) isn't a big deal. Lose an arm, you've got the other one. Lose that one too, you've got your feet. Lose one of those, you can use a crutch (assuming you still have hands). Lose the other one, you crawl around. Lose all your limbs and you use your tentacle-like teeth to pull yourself along the ground, and you can even fight with those things. I've had biter dwarves dominate entire goblin sieges because of the buggy stats of teeth.

As a matter of fact, losing a foot can be a good thing. Because the dwarf will move around using a crutch (which trains their agility), by the time they're legendary crutch-walkers they actually move faster than other dwarves. Things like this is why people purposely maim and disfigure their dwarves.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 05:37:20 am »

I think loosing one hand or arm doesn't count as a severe impairment, afaik no dwarf activities are scripted as requiring 2 hands. Loosing both hands is much more annoying as the dwarf will not be able to feed himself so he relies on the good will of others to feed him. He also can't pick up items which makes him useless in most jobs and will result in a lot of job cancellation spam. He can still lead combat demonstrations and do some intellectual jobs such as book keeping.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 06:09:30 am »

it probably incurs the one handed/two handed penalty for some weapons
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.