Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first forgotten beast  (Read 1632 times)

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
My first forgotten beast
« on: June 26, 2012, 03:34:18 am »

So my dorfs have just encountered their first forgotten beast, which wondered into the area controlled by Castleflanked before I had a working military (I refuse to danger room), or even proper moat and wall layers. It could spray webs, and enjoyed webbing up my dudes and then stomping on their heads while they were defenseless.
Of course, without any dorfs with fighting skills above novice (I embarked Now), I was forced to conscript pretty much everyone, equip them with whatever was lying around and then choke that bastard with my dead.

The fortress is not likely to survive long with the one surviving dorf I have left, though he will spread tales of the thingy I forget the name of to other all fortresses in the land.
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first forgotten beast
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 05:16:09 am »

It's not over yet, make a hole for him to hide in, and wait for migrants. The fort can survive!

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 09:08:09 am »

Yea, it may not be over yet, if you can manage to wall it in or out from your remaining dwarf. If you're lucky, you'll still have some seeds and a pick axe, if not, then yes, you may die off, unless migrants come in time. It can be a tough go.

I've never had a forgotten beast come before I had any walls myself! Did you have over 80 dwarves yet by any chance?

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 09:44:18 am »

I think I had about sixty or so, but my fort value was approaching like a million sparkles because, being a smartarse, I was churning out high quality steel weapons and armour and shiny crafts for trading.
Of course, I'm still pretty much learning how to play the game, so this was a valubale experience.

Urist McSurvivor is repeatedly canceling whatever I want him to do because he is constantly tantruming, and will likely die fairly soon.
Hey ho, so it goes.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 10:33:35 am »

Half the !!fun!! is recovering from a single dwarf.
You can do it, no worries!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 10:38:19 am »

Btw, what skills does the dwarf have?

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 11:30:32 am »

He is a proficient weaver and dabbling grower. Also a bunch of useless social skills.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 10:24:49 am »

Beware then, he/she is gonna need a lot of seeds to grow anything, since poorly skilled farmers destroy a lot of seeds. You might be able to make some tradeable goods with that weaving of course.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 11:38:12 am »

Beware then, he/she is gonna need a lot of seeds to grow anything, since poorly skilled farmers destroy a lot of seeds. You might be able to make some tradeable goods with that weaving of course.

Say what now? Where are you getting this idea from? AFAIK, farmers do not EVER destroy seeds. Bad farmers simply don't produce as many crops from a single seed.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 01:40:52 pm »

Of course, there's a few things that DO destroy seeds. I'd advise disabling cooking on the new hermit's crops.
Also, rotate crops. Plump helmets and pig tails work well; they provide food, clothes, and two kinds of alcohol.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 05:10:08 pm »

Urist McSurvivor has finally shuffled off his mortal coil.

At some point, when I know what I'm doing, I will reclaim Castleflanked and build a huge monument to him.
Also, find out his name.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 11:33:55 am »

Urist McSurvivor has finally shuffled off his mortal coil.

At some point, when I know what I'm doing, I will reclaim Castleflanked and build a huge monument to him.
Also, find out his name.
Legends is good for that.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now