Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crazy dwarf mega project question  (Read 479 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
Crazy dwarf mega project question
« on: June 27, 2012, 08:21:00 pm »

Can i force a river up a mountain?

I had the idea to make fishing more accessible to my fortress entrance (at the top).

I thought it wouldn't be possible, but then... I thought.  Maybe I could use pumps to pump water up into a walled area, and the walled area runs over the river that I want to raise, so my pumped water fills in a basin that overlaps the river, so fish in theory should have access to the higher elevation area.

I don't know if it would work, I doubt I can make a river, but I might be able to create a basin of water above the river that can be tapped into for fishing...

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy dwarf mega project question
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 08:40:02 pm »

I just found out that fishing is an finite means to generate food by some members on this board. You can overfish and deplete fish permanently, that is they dont' replenish with time :(

I was going to try a geo-engineering project to make fishing quicker and safer. Once i discovered this i dont' see the point really.

Anyway i see it's ancillary to your question but i had similar interests.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 08:42:06 pm by Rafe »

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 08:55:32 pm »

Yes, fish will run out, so if you're going to do this just so you can fish it's really too much effort. But if you just want some water on top of your mountain you can do that using pump stacks.
And I'm not sure if fish can even get through water being pumped anyway.
Feeling down? Click Here!

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 09:05:44 pm »

you miss the point, I don't want fish to pass through the pump, the pumps would most likely be two apart pumping from the river source, but the water would flow back into the river as well as into an above basin, giving the fish a chance to swim up a z level).

but... that's sad that fish are finite...  that really sucks.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 03:53:36 am »

I think the fishable vermin doesn't really care about pumps and where they can swim, but, as usually, not really sure
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.