Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random Moment of Badass  (Read 1642 times)

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Random Moment of Badass
« on: June 26, 2012, 11:17:12 pm »

A forgotten beast showed up at my fortress a few minutes ago.  A great scaly leech with a shell.  Beware its fire!  I took a quick look through the caverns and decided it was safely sealed off.

Whoopsie.

Turns out, this particular Hauler was a marksdwarf - and I had ordered all military dwarves to be be in full uniform at all times.  Still, it didn't seem like it would help him much when he decided to get in a shooting match with the fire-throwing, shell-armored behemoth at 3 paces.  I mobilized my military and sent them to finish the beast and recover the poor brave dwarf's corpse.

Turns out I didn't need to bother.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, somebody's getting a solid-gold bedroom.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random Moment of Badass
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 11:22:11 pm »

Solid adamanite, thats what i'd do.

But none of my ponies/humans/kobolds have ever done such a feat.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 11:25:39 pm »

Yeah, I don't like the requirement for ammunition (which always seems to run out at the worst possible time), but marksdwarves are badass.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 12:13:08 am »

A forgotten beast showed up at my fortress a few minutes ago.  A great scaly leech with a shell.  Beware its fire!
Not to be a party pooper, but were you playing with Temperature turned off (to save FPS)? Beasts that use fire-based attacks are pretty much helpless without it.

(Which I found out by accident when a titan made of flame flew around my base, pushing my civilians, and spitting fireballs that did nothing. My captain of the guard casually one-shotted it. Then a couple of years later, I turned Temperature back on, and had a deuce of a time trying to figure out why my wood stockpile was smoking, and why the grass outside had suddenly caught fire.)
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 12:47:41 am »

A forgotten beast showed up at my fortress a few minutes ago.  A great scaly leech with a shell.  Beware its fire!
Not to be a party pooper, but were you playing with Temperature turned off (to save FPS)? Beasts that use fire-based attacks are pretty much helpless without it.

(Which I found out by accident when a titan made of flame flew around my base, pushing my civilians, and spitting fireballs that did nothing. My captain of the guard casually one-shotted it. Then a couple of years later, I turned Temperature back on, and had a deuce of a time trying to figure out why my wood stockpile was smoking, and why the grass outside had suddenly caught fire.)

Nope, temperature on.  The marksdwarf just sat there shooting holes in the forgotten beast while fireballs went sailing past his head.  My fortresses usually don't have FPS problems until several decades have passed, and even then I can usually delay the inevitable a bit.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 12:49:24 am »

Yeah, I don't like the requirement for ammunition (which always seems to run out at the worst possible time), but marksdwarves are badass.
Run an ammunition industry. Tetrahedrite is pretty much everywhere...

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 02:18:47 am »

Run an ammunition industry. Tetrahedrite is pretty much everywhere...

Yeah... I told a no-skill peasant who happened to like bolts to spend his time crafting bolts.  Then I forgot he existed.  Cue checking the stocks later and finding 6000 bolts - and a legendary weaponsmith.