Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why does the site finder only search half the world?  (Read 935 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why does the site finder only search half the world?
« on: June 24, 2012, 11:40:16 am »

I noticed when switching to a lopsided world size (257x129) that only the first half-X of the map gets searched by the Site Finder. Is there any way to force it to search the whole map, or even, to start searching from the second half so I can at least cover all the ground with two seperate sweeps?

Forgive me if this is a known issue, as I did run a search, but didn't find anything about this.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Why does the site finder only search half the world?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 11:45:36 am »

Weird, I've never heard of something like this happening. Are you sure that it's that it isn't searching the second half, and you just didn't get a crazy world where there were no sites matching your criteria in the second half? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but IIRC the green X's only show up if there is a valid site spot in those tiles, so if you didn't have any valid sites then the X's wouldn't show up.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 12:11:03 pm »

It's certainly possible there's a bug with the current site finder that prevents it from working correctly with non-square worlds - can you reproduce this with a rectangular world with the opposite orientation?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 12:15:14 pm »

Another thing that would be worthwhile to check would be a rectangular world or the same orientation but a different size (129x65 for example).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 12:18:18 pm »

I'll attempt to reproduce it with some other odd sizes. For the time being, I took a screenshot of the results I'm getting with this one:

http://i.imgur.com/FgUTu.png
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 12:32:13 pm »

257x129 = Search halts at approx. 70 out of 153 regions
257x65 = Search halts at approx. 20 out of 85 regions
129x257 = Searches all 153 regions successfully
65x257 = CTD during 'cleanup' stage of worldgen, using copy of Large Island. This happened twice. The third attempt used a copy of Large Region instead, and this genned successfully. Also, all 85 regions were searched successfully during Finder.

129x65 = Search halts at approx. 20 out of 45 regions
65x129 = Searches all 45 regions successfully

(Edit: Mixed up 'Island' and 'Region')
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 12:36:43 pm by Moogie »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 12:39:46 pm »

If somebody else can produce the same results, i say bug.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 01:00:23 pm »

For the sake of full disclosure, I'm running 34.11 with the Modest Mod, a custom race, and the Language Unlocked mod. Tileset being used: Jolly Bastion 9x12.

My errorlog.txt has remained empty during these tests. map_rejection_log.txt is showing a pretty typical selection of map rejections for all of the tested maps, with more rejections occuring on those maps made smallest (65x129 and 129x65).

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 04:26:53 pm »

I'm able to reproduce with 34.11 + phoebus.   

From the main menu:

-select Design New World with Advanced Parameters
-select o to change y-dimension down
-answer y
-press enter
-answer y
-waited for "Recounting legends..."
-press enter
-press u to Use world as it currently exists
-press enter to accept
-select start playing
-select the new region
-select dwarf fortress
-press f for site finder
-change aquifer to no
-press enter

After 70ish squares are searched, search then accellerates rapidly through 153 producing no X's on the second half of the map.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.