Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How paranoid is appropriate?  (Read 5305 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: How paranoid is appropriate?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 03:59:52 pm »

Due to my sudden bout of extreme paranoia, my fortress is now defended by a grand trap hall including a narrow dodge-pit trap bridge covered in copper serated disks, with up to 10 per weapon trap (I know copper sucks, but the point is to get them to dodge anyway, and I didn't have the resources for anything better. It'll do fine on relatively unarmored targets.) and backed up by an atom smasher. The pit, of course, drops 11 or so stories into to a pool of magma, that I could drain to collect goblinite.

Although I need to rethink the drain, because it'll suck in items just as well as anything else.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dwarfinator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 08:02:54 pm »

My recent project to create a dwarven suburb ended in tragedy. I dug a one-wide channel around the entire map and removed the ramps. The only way to enter without flying was across a bridge defended by traps. I embarked in a freezing biome and so naturally the ice melted and refroze right across my wimpy moat. The goblin siege sitting outside waltzed right in and killed about 120 dwarves and then left the rest to die in a miserable tantrum spiral. I had assumed that I would be safe until I could get some walls built around the edge but my sad channel was no match for the inevitable folly of Dwarf Fortress.

Almost paranoid enough.
Mwah ha ha ha ha....

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 10:38:33 pm »

My recent project to create a dwarven suburb ended in tragedy. I dug a one-wide channel around the entire map and removed the ramps. The only way to enter without flying was across a bridge defended by traps. I embarked in a freezing biome and so naturally the ice melted and refroze right across my wimpy moat. The goblin siege sitting outside waltzed right in and killed about 120 dwarves and then left the rest to die in a miserable tantrum spiral. I had assumed that I would be safe until I could get some walls built around the edge but my sad channel was no match for the inevitable folly of Dwarf Fortress.

Almost paranoid enough.
Same thing happened to me, the difference being my whole defense didn't depend on outside facters.  :P. Nothing can penetrate my base, the only difference in the winter is fewer die from instant trapping (Note: I said FEWER. Lots of traps everywhere, especially in non-ramp areas.)
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 10:48:11 pm »

Can creatures destroy constructions (like doors or raised bridges)

NOTHING can destroy a raised bridge. You will be just fine with one bridge. And maybe a wall.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 10:53:08 pm »

NOTHING can destroy a raised bridge. You will be just fine with one bridge. And maybe a wall.

I heard that's not actually the case.  Supposedly the fake wall created by the raised bridge protects the spaces it occupies, but the rest of the bridge area is still potentially vulnerable if you have something that could hurt the bridge.  So if you have a bridge that can burn or melt, it's longer than 1 tile, and one of the non-wall spaces gets hit by say, dragonfire while the bridge is up, it could catch fire.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 10:56:19 pm »

I heard that's not actually the case.  Supposedly the fake wall created by the raised bridge protects the spaces it occupies, but the rest of the bridge area is still potentially vulnerable if you have something that could hurt the bridge.  So if you have a bridge that can burn or melt, it's longer than 1 tile, and one of the non-wall spaces gets hit by say, dragonfire while the bridge is up, it could catch fire.

As I've said, maybe a wall. I've only seen magma once, and that was a volcano. I have a tendency to do stupid things, but that is usually starvation or dehydration or vampires uncontrolled.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 11:01:32 pm »

My fortress usually only has one layer of main defenses to stop sieges and suchlike, and then after that, the !!FUN!! begins as I try to stop the forty goblins rampaging through the booze stockpile with ten recruits, five marksdwarves, and a small elite squad of four veterans (hahahaha, adept veterans). Usually, it ends badly as the recruits rush, the marksdwarves try to fight hand to hand, and the veterans decide they need to change socks, or go get a drink from that barrel Melbil dropped by the forge, or go on break.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 01:32:16 am »

I can't recall, can flying things come up through wells now?

Also, all of my raised drawbridges have always been done with a dry-moat underneath so that the raised bridge is 1Z level above where you stand if you try to stand next to the raised bridge tile. 

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2012, 05:16:32 am »

Swimming, flying, floating...

If they get you, you were not paranoid enough.  If you they just barely got you, you were almost paranoid enough. :D

Almost?!

ALMOST

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2012, 06:36:19 am »

I'm very paranoid when it comes to the surface or caverns. At any point in a fort of mine they are either walled off, or have trap corridors leading to them, sealed by raising bridges. Emphasis on the plural, one bridge can always be blocked by an Ogre, Elephant, Cave Dragon, FB or Titan.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2012, 07:12:46 am »

Swimming, flying, floating...

But, as I understand things (imperfectly), swimmers can only come up through the well if the water in the tile directly below the well is 7/7 deep.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2012, 08:15:09 am »

Due to my sudden bout of extreme paranoia, my fortress is now defended by a grand trap hall including a narrow dodge-pit trap bridge covered in copper serated disks, with up to 10 per weapon trap (I know copper sucks, but the point is to get them to dodge anyway, and I didn't have the resources for anything better. It'll do fine on relatively unarmored targets.) and backed up by an atom smasher. The pit, of course, drops 11 or so stories into to a pool of magma, that I could drain to collect goblinite.

Although I need to rethink the drain, because it'll suck in items just as well as anything else.
You'll be fine if it drains down a grate, or if you include a grate in the drain line to catch any sucked-in items. That's what I actually do. I have a retracting bridge for the floor of the magma-pool, then under the retracting bridge, I have a grated-over area (abuse of downstairs makes this possible) and under the grated over area is the magma reservoir or map edge drain. So when the bridge is opened, the magma falls straight through and the items are sieved out ready for collection for dwarves.

Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.
Pages: 1 [2]