Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I am NOT running a Menagerie  (Read 2585 times)

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I am NOT running a Menagerie
« on: June 19, 2012, 02:08:02 pm »

Is there any way to stop hordes of pet critters from arriving with my migrants?  Or slow the migrants while I'm at it?  I'm spending so much time carving out living quarters that I don't have any opportunity to dig for ore :p
Demon of Darkness

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I am NOT running a Menagerie
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 02:20:02 pm »

This won't stop migrants nor animals, but stop carving out individual living quarters.  Make a square of beds (3x3 is plenty early on, later you might want to expand it to 5x5), zone a bedroom from the center bed, and make it a dormitory instead of assigning it.  Dwarves will crash there and you can concentrate on setting up your infrastructure instead.  Then once you've got some time and dwarfpower to spare, you can work on proper living quarters for everyone.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 02:21:32 pm »

Setting the POPULATION_CAP in data/init/d_init.txt will limit immigrations.  This takes effect after a couple seasons, we think.  And the first two immigrant waves are hard-coded, and will happen no matter what.

You can't control what shows up in the immigration waves.  You can kill them after they arrive.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 03:15:56 pm »

If they're strays, butcher 'em.  Free meat!  If they're pets, atomsmash them.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 03:55:05 pm »

Forge a bunch of picks. Give one to each immigrant and make them carve out their own quarters.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 08:08:52 pm »

Once every now and then, open the "z" menu, choose Animals. Go through the list and press "b" on any animals you want butchered. Leave only the kinds of animals you want, such as dogs for example.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 08:23:52 pm »

I butcher as much as I can, but I've had waves where I'd get over a dozen pets and another 2 dozen dwarves.

Thanks for the advice all the same guys
Demon of Darkness

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 01:06:12 pm »

Most pets seems to be things like dogs, cats, pigs, birds, and sheep.  Not too many pets are the big hungry grazers which is good, the biggest grazer pets I've ever seen are alpacas, and they're still pretty manageable.  These pets don't bother me, because while they can't be butchered, I simply use them as breeding stock.  It's the pet rabbits and cavies that irritate me, they breed fast and they give no meat, so they're a waste of space.  I atomsmash them before they can contribute too heavily to fps death.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 06:40:23 pm »

I don't get that far any more.

Get Tantrum spirals because dwarves came to my fort with no pants (seriously) or a raiding party butchers everyone becaues my military decided to forego certain pieces of VERY vital gear (helms for example) or the total inability to produce clothing thanks to the Hospital's Chest of Infinite Holding bug which causes the first issue.

I just get tired of tripping over the freakin animals.  Or I used to, about to stop playing until Toady realizes that some of his unaddressed bugs are seriously crippling the damn game.  I don't care about necromancers or outlaws shouting that they're starving...  I want a military smart enough to wear their armor, train like they're supposed to and a hospital run by someone who realizes they have enough thread.

So I'm probably going to just stop playing this and go play something else.
Demon of Darkness

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 07:17:25 pm »

this must be new to 34.11, since my military in 34.07 was a killing machine. Or maybe you didn't know the buggy parts and the workarounds (don't make a hospital stockpile).
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 07:34:28 pm »

-snip- I want a military smart enough to wear their armor, train like they're supposed to -snip-
Actually with a "simple" uniform such as a set of gauntlets, greaves, breastplate, helm, boots, weapon, and shield (as opposed to one of those "complex" ones with layering such as 4 shirts, a mail shirt, and a breastplate) that is set to "over clothing", I have yet to have a single problem with my military not wearing their armor except when I didn't have enough armor to fit them all (or I did something stupid like accidentally assigning a miner into the military). As for training, assuming that you have a barracks set up I just set my military to train all year with the default "active/training" alert and have yet to have a single problem with them not training.

And yeah, some of the bugs are bad like the hospital one (though since I just clothe my dwarves in goblin gear I've never really had a problem with clothes, as a matter of fact I often have too many clothes so I trade them away at times), but Toady is doing the best that he can. If you don't want to stay here then nobody is making you (though it will be sad to see you go) and you can always go and play something else. Before you go you might want to check out both the worst bug poll and the eternal voting page since then we can make sure to get whatever things implemented faster and you can come back to enjoy playing DF again sooner.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 08:24:21 pm »

lol I've never particularly 'stayed' in any online community.  I drift in, drift out, no big deal.  So me saying that I'm likely to go play something else isn't a very monumental declaration.  It's mostly an indication that I'm aware of how annoyed I am and that I should get some distance before I give myself a serious headache...
 Besides, I lurk in the shadows around here to keep an eye on things even when I'm not actively posting.  Don't think I've been overly active around here since the Hospital arc first came out and made my eyes want to bleed from frustration.  Or was it the military arc when I simply didn't understand the new interface layer?  meh, doesn't matter other than to make my point.  I back away to let go of the frustration, then inevitably pick it back up at some point. 
Demon of Darkness

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 02:47:14 am »

I play games usually in a rotation of 2 months. DF is in line for next month somewhere probably, just drift back some time

:D
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 11:14:04 pm »

So me saying that I'm likely to go play something else isn't a very monumental declaration.  It's mostly an indication that I'm aware of how annoyed I am and that I should get some distance before I give myself a serious headache...
That's what makes me say it, too.  I am not complaining as much as taking preventative measures to avoid a migraine.  I cannot really complain about something free.  Makes me feel bad and I cannot sleep.  I have been frustrated with 34.11, too.  I just can't get them to work.  Its one thing to not get them to fight when I need them, I can live with that, with the overwhelming birthrate and large migration, always having cannon fodder, helps that.  But to have 30 some idlers, and empty workstations with /R, that sorta bothers me.  Because well, /R was enough to get them idlers working in the earlier version.  Now I dunno what I'm doing, or supposed to do.  I cannot lay track at all.  It think that is prolly my overwhelming issue.  But I'm using wheelbarrels often, and still jobs are not getting done.  *shrug* 

Your not alone brother.  I'm tempted to play some legends and to me, that's like watching grass grow compared to fortress.  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Xenogenic

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you will find the magma leak eventually.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 03:02:44 pm »

I don't know, I'm not finding bugs like this in 34.11. Are you sure it's not a problem with a save ported from an earlier version?

I will say this much, equipping seems to have changed somehow. Had to do some experiments, but now everyone is wearing what I want them to. High boots + socks won't happen in a uniform. Had to do testing to figure that out.

Oh, and maybe link all your stockpiles manually to your clothing industry workshops? When linked, the stuff won't be used anywhere else it seems. At the very least, I'm able to make whatever clothing I want, my hospital is not eating up all the cloth.
Dwarven Safety is kind of like a gun in a kindergarten. every single toddler wants to play with it and they will put elaborate plans in motion to get their hands on it. A hundred tiny hands grasping for death and crawling all over you begging for it.