Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Middle Earth Mod - release 3.1  (Read 20069 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Middle Earth Mod - release 3.1
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2012, 03:30:51 am »

Very good question. The original mod seemed to be based on the third age, what with humans being changed to Dúnedain and such.

If we started with the first age, it could get a bit Angband-like, which certainly isn't a bad thing.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2012, 10:30:44 am »

That is kind of a kick ass age. I'd be all for it if that's what we decided.

The main problem would be the over-abundance of clans and such, and how to handle men who didnt appear till later dates, like the Numenoreans or for that matter, Hobbits. There would have to be a lot of explanation for people who aren't raging LOTR geeks. But there is also so much delicious content that could go into a mod like that.

I don't know, maybe we should put it to a vote?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2012, 02:09:59 am »

For that matter, would anyone really be interested in playing this mod? Gimme a shoutout here, and maybe ill do some work on it.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2012, 02:55:36 am »

I'm thinking that I'll use my knowledge of creature classes, castes etc. to make a full "The Enemy" civ, with orcs, uruk-hai, balrogs, with Melkor at the top and Sauron below him.

The main problem with that would be the tendency for Melkor to die and... be replaced by another Melkor instead of having Sauron take over. That'd be awkward.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2012, 03:48:07 am »

Well, you could have a mega-champion-hero creature as the king of each race. Would that make it less likely for them to die? Have Melkor for the enemy, Filgolfin for the elves, maybe hurin for the men, and Durin for dwarves? Looks like this is gonna be first age-tastic.

Or honestly, its not like Sauron hasn't been "killed" before. One could just make the case that it is the same Sauron or Melkor reforming again.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 03:18:20 pm by dunamisdeos »

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2012, 09:24:52 pm »

I'd certainly be interested in playing.  fairly useless at modding (no focus/patience for it)

Demon of Darkness

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2012, 11:49:45 pm »

Now, I think for this to really work, we would need an actual middle earth world. Most of the uniqueness comes from locales and the people that live in them. Can we do that? I'm sure theres a world editor somewhere.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2012, 11:54:43 pm »

There is. I've even made Numenor in it. It's called PerfectWorldDF.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2012, 01:49:13 am »

It's on. I'm going to start with Men. I think for materials, we are going to need mithril, ithildin... can you make it so beryl is more valuable to elves? Dwarves need to be able to smith ringmail, and maybe some type of improved steel? Oh, and dwarf-masks. Nuts, I need to think more about men.

Now, i suppose we will have to skew things somewhat to include some different but important factions of men, such as Edain and Easterling, Numenoreans etc. Can't wait to have a rogue Mumakil attack. Also, I'll need to add Athelas, and a healing brew that can be created with it. Maybe there should be a very rare caste of Numenor men amongst Edain?

Do we add Tom Bombadil?

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2012, 02:22:22 am »

You can actually add a way to find Barlog in stone:) And it will go on rampage in your fortress:) I proposed to Meph how to do it in MasterWork thread earlier. I can repost it here if you interested:)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2012, 02:25:55 am »

Find a creature in stone?
Re-post please

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2012, 02:36:41 am »

Yes please repost. In middle earth there isn't a hell, but there is a sort of under-world, into which gandalf descends with the Balrog of Moria.

"There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of the world." ~Gandalf the Grey

"Far, far below the deepest delving of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he. Now I have walked there, but I will bring no report to darken the light of day."  ~Gandalf the White

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2012, 02:38:28 am »

Also, I think we need a new thread. We are clearly starting from scratch. I will oblige.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=111949.msg3393524#msg3393524
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 03:59:50 am by dunamisdeos »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]