Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: anyone know what I need to do to get a newer game to load in an older version?  (Read 695 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile

My game is crashing in Masterwork 34.11 (self mod thanks to guidance from Meph).

so... I wanted to see if it would play in 34.10

All the raw's are supposed to be the same between the two versions except one line of code discussing armor...

Anyways, just copying the file over to 34.10 data save folder doesn't work (like it does when you do it the other way), the game doesn't show up.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

Try copying over your raws and then generating a new world would be my suggestion. While this game does have a large amount of backward compatibility, it doesn't have forwards compatibility. There are probably some changes int he code that are being utilized in your save that don't exist back in 34.10.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

copy my raws?  I copied the entire save folder over (with the raw folder inside)

If I create a new world?  Then what?  Overwrite the raw's of the world?  I'm confused.

I don't think you mean to copy over the df raw folder do you?  Maybe you do?

I tried copying the 34.11 raw folder to 34.10 (saving the old)

didn't work

I tried using the 34.10 raw's to update my save (didn't work).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 06:50:25 pm by thistleknot »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mean open up the raw/objects folder for 34.10 and delete everything in it. Then open up the raw/objects folder for 34.11 and copy-paste everything from there into the now empty folder in 34.10. Then generate a new world in 34.10. The new world should have all of your changes present in it. Note that this won't allow you to transfer over your save. Saves from previous versions cannot be moved backwards in versions in most cases. I'm not trying to give you a way to transfer a save here, I'm simply trying to give you a way to create a new save that doesn't crash in the previous version.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 06:55:42 pm by i2amroy »
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

you keep saying previous version and I'm not sure if you know what I'm trying to do.

I'm wanting to move a 34.11 save to 34.10 because my 34.11 save is crashing in 34.11

I hope to get it past a certain point (inside 34.10), and then transfer it back to 34.11

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Then the answer is probably no, you can't do that. As I mentioned saves can easily be moved forward versions, but the majority of saves will not work if you try to run them with a previous version. Your 34.11 save is stuck in 34.11, and will not work on 34.10 or any previous versions.