Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Baby making machines  (Read 3022 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Baby making machines
« on: June 23, 2012, 02:28:46 pm »

Has anyone done some !science! or devised any way to increase the rate at which dwarves marry and have babies?
I know it goes completely counter to everything DF (have MORE babies in a fort???), but I want to make a no-migrant embark and rely solely on reproduction for fort population and looking to increase my chances of survival.

Any tips? I guess a good happiness is one prerequisite of having promiscuous dwarfs?
Feeling down? Click Here!

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Baby making machines
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 02:29:49 pm »

Lock two friends of seperate gender in the same room for a year.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 02:35:14 pm »

If you don't have your dwarves do anything for a bit immediately after embark, at least one pair usually become lovers. I've had three pairs before, just resulting from carelessness of not designating anything before unpausing. Aside from that, there's been a bit of science on locking them up together in close proximity... just keep in mind that the progression from lover to marriage takes many years, most of the time.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 03:09:07 pm »

Once they are lovers/married, however, all it takes is some free time together for the spores to make their way to the female beard.  Once you have a breeding pair, expect a new bud to drop off every nine to ten months.  Of course, with dwarven mortality rates, its probably required for the species to survive ...
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 05:09:19 pm »

Having lots of idlers all the time often does the trick. Idlers socialize.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 08:34:37 pm »

Yeah, if both members of the pair are idle at the same time, and the female isn't already carrying a bud, she soon will be.
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 08:58:09 pm »

Lock two friends of seperate gender in the same room for a year.

To expand on this you can play matchmaker when setting up your fort, and arrange things so everyone is working in pairs.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 09:41:45 pm »

I have noticed my miners become friends quickly (default starting seven, make the mason a second miner after embark).  This will probably work unless you end up with one male and six females, or some other combination that doesn't lead to pairing up your dwarves.  I remember a fort (0.31.12, iirc) where after the fourth migrant wave I had 60 dwarves and only 5 were male.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 01:07:02 am »

... after the fourth migrant wave I had 60 dwarves and only 5 were male.
Sounds like good times.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 01:32:33 am »

Having lots of idlers all the time often does the trick. Idlers socialize.
Also smaller dining rooms and meeting rooms helps massively. Dwarves only really socialize with other dwarves while they share a tile, so if you have a large dining room they won't actually socialize that much, where a tiny one will result in tons of friends.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 02:36:52 am »

If you are up for some modding then you could try adding the [PET] tag to dwarven women as seen on
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 and/or changing/adding [LITTERSIZE:X:Y] to a desirable number (you might need to remove the MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE tag).  This will not affect marriages, but it will change how many kiddos get popped out.

If you don't want to mod things, then as others have said make sure they have plenty of down time ans spend it in a communal space.  Individual bedrooms are probably out, as is having singles in the military.  Also, if you are going to have multiple 'meeting hall' type rooms (zoos, statue gardens etc.) try making them occupy the same space so your idlers are not all spread out.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".