Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: question regarding volcanoes...  (Read 896 times)

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
question regarding volcanoes...
« on: June 20, 2012, 05:40:08 pm »

I don't know if that's a bug, but every time I embark on a map with a volcano, the crater has a very weird shape. Actually it looks like a gigantic tube that ends several z-level above ground.

Here is an example (the light blue corresponds to open air)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/717/volcanox.png/
Is it a bug?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 05:52:14 pm by San-A »

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
Re: question regarding volcanoes...
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 05:50:33 pm »

I wouldn't really call it a bug, more of an interesting geological feature of DF. Basically, volcanoes in DF are just what we call a 'magma tube' - a roughly round shaft of magma cased in obsidian - breaking through to the surface. Normally, it would end more properly where a mountain ends, but this one decided to stick higher up. That's because Toady is doing a lot as he is and making magma tubes always end where the ground ends wasn't something he could achieve with as much effort as he put into it.

Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 05:53:58 pm »

I wouldn't really call it a bug, more of an interesting geological feature of DF. Basically, volcanoes in DF are just what we call a 'magma tube' - a roughly round shaft of magma cased in obsidian - breaking through to the surface. Normally, it would end more properly where a mountain ends, but this one decided to stick higher up. That's because Toady is doing a lot as he is and making magma tubes always end where the ground ends wasn't something he could achieve with as much effort as he put into it.
Makes perfect sense to me. Thanks!

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 07:15:23 pm »

Look at it this way: If the top of the volcano is higher up than everything else in the location, it should be very simple (though not trivial) to construct and fill a magma reservoir in the sky that drops magma wherever you want it.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.