Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Militia Refusing to Train  (Read 1268 times)

Lord Gus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Militia Refusing to Train
« on: June 13, 2012, 05:58:41 pm »

Specifically, one of my captains is currently sitting in his room and idling, despite his current job being listed as "go to archery practice". He is definitely not sleeping, despite being sat in his chamber. My archery targets are set up and being used by other training Marksdwarves just fine. I even set his squads training order to 'minimum 1' dwarf for a session. Am i missing something (i'm still quite new so I would not be surprised) or have i encountered a bug.

I have just now thoguht of one more thing.....could he be injured? I didn't think to check. Will post again if that was the issue. :p

Cheers,
Gustav.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Militia Refusing to Train
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 06:00:44 pm »

Does he have bolts?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 06:01:58 pm »

If his current job is go to archery practice, he isnt injured, else he would cancel it. I demand more info. what is he doing? is he unconsous? press v-w, is he missing legs? it could be all sorts of things. Is the door locked?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 06:06:12 pm »

Check his inventory (v-i). Does he have a crossbow and quiver? Does he have bolts in the quiver?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Lord Gus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 06:17:37 pm »

Much obliged by the speedy replies. Returning the courtesy I fired up the game and had a look.

He is uninjured.
He has a crossbow.
He has a quiver.
In the quiver there are a variety of bone bolts.

Any other ideas, or information requested?

The squad have 300 bolts of any kind assigned for use in training or combat by the way. I had set them to only use wood and bone for training but thought i might have caused the problem by setting that up incorrectly, so i reverted it.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 06:18:31 pm »

Send him to kill something, and then turn the kill order off.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 06:24:40 pm »

Hmmm, sounds like it should be working. How many targets do you have, and how many archers are shooting at them? Is there an available target to shoot at? Did you designate each and every target as a barracks? Do they all have the correct setting for shooting direction? Is your militia captain a moron? Oh wait, he's a dwarf, nevermind that last question, it's a given.

Does he have a path to the archery range? Try stationing the squad there and see if he can get to it. I'm using ramps instead of stairs for the first time in my current fortress, and I've accidentally dug out the wall next to an upward ramp a few times and had dwarves that can't get to where they need to go.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Lord Gus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 06:33:10 pm »

Huzzah, he is practicing now. Only two things changed between him refusing to leave his room and him going about his archery practice.

1: I assigned bone bolts for training separately (since he was carrying bone bolts and my bookkeeper tells me we have 1000+ of them).

2: A Gremlin was noticed running around my central stair and he participated in killing it.

As i said i'm still learning the game, so maybe i fudged up the ammo allocations in the first instance. Maybe he did indeed just need a spot of murder to kick start him. It's easy to see how this game can create stories so easily; so many enigmatic little curiosities about it.

Many thanks for the quick and helpful replies.

Cheers,
Gustav.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 06:56:12 pm »

You know how some people need a cup of coffee to get going in the morning? Well, some of us just need to kill something. It gets the blood flowing.