Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stupid Question  (Read 1005 times)

lkjggfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stupid Question
« on: June 13, 2012, 09:51:07 pm »

So, today I was playing the Lazy Nemb Pack, when it said a werebeast was near. I could not, for the life of me, find a way to summon all of my dwarves indoors. Is there a way to make all your dwarves go to a certain location at once? And was it necessary to seal my fortress up? And one last question, dwarves can go up fortifacitons, right, but do you just have to make a staircase so they can get up?

pulsusego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid Question
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 10:05:58 pm »

I'm not 100% sure what your asking about fortifications, so I'll let someone else handle that.
But a temporary burrow would do the trick for getting everyone indoors.
Also, sealing your fortress shouldn't be necessary (depending on what you mean, anyway..) but don't hold me to that, in case it might have the building destroyer tag. Still, I doubt it.
I got a high master!!!.... animal caretaker... ****.

Bloxace

• Bay Watcher
  • You must dig deeper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 10:07:43 pm »

Burrows are the recommended way to get your dwarves where they need go, if you can figure them out. For the second question, not if you have a good defense in place. and for the third, you need both an up and down stair. Hope that helps.
...Said Bloxace.

lkjggfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 10:38:45 pm »

OK, are there any decent guides to using burrows? And about the fortifaction, so, say the fortications look like this,

w and | = fortifacation
D = Door
G = Gate
wwwwwww
|               |
D               G
|               |
wwwwwww

Can something on the layer above climb over the fortifactions and into my fortress?

Muddy Mudstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 04:51:05 am »

You may be thinking of fortifications as like battlements, but they are more like walls with arrow slits in. They are walls that block creatures, and block nothing else (except, inexplicably, when fully underwater - then they let swimming creatures through, or so says the wiki).

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Fortification

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 05:37:27 am »

Go have a look at http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User:Khearn/CivilianAlertBurrow to see how to define civilian alert burrows. Khearn or someone else really should add that to either part of the security design or some similar page, or even make it it's own wiki page. Best noob-friendly guide to getting your civilian dwarves indoors ASAP.

And regarding fortifications, yes, they are more like arrow slits. Or crenellations. If you carve fortifications into either natural or constructed walls, they will have floors above them, since the wall had a floor above it. If you just build them directly, they won't have walls above them, so any liquid(/item?/creature?) that falls on the fortification from above will fall through it. = Usually best to build walls, then carve fortifications.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 05:40:42 am by Snaake »