Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armor Stands  (Read 2227 times)

Jeffery

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:troll]
    • View Profile
Armor Stands
« on: June 10, 2011, 07:04:59 pm »

How many armor stands and weapon racks should I put in a barracks? Also, does an armor stand only hold only one set of armor?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armor Stands
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 07:12:49 pm »

You should put at least one armor stand or weapon rack in a barracks.

I don't think I've ever seen dwarves actually store equipment on stands or racks, but that could be just because I usually keep my soldiers equipped full-time.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Zhaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 10:49:37 pm »

Your Dorfs will only use the Armour Stands and Weapon Racks while inactive and even then only if in the uniforms screen for that squad you have   |inactive: uniformed| turned off.

I usually give 1 Armour Stand per Dorf and 1 Weapon Rack per 2 and seems to work, not sure on the exact numbers though.
Urist: It's 106 miles from the mountainhomes, we got a full wagon of gas, half a pick of cigarettes, it's dark down there, and we're wearing sunglasses.
Catten: Hit it.
Damn you vile character limit!!!

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 11:31:57 pm »

As long as you don't have your soldiers set to take off their uniforms when they're not on duty -- and I can't think of any reason you'd want to do that -- you only really need the one armor stand or weapon rack to designate the Barracks from.  Technically you could even designate the Barracks from a bed, cabinet, or chest and it would work just as well.

That said, I tend to put one of each type of furniture in every barracks.  Mostly just because I think it looks nice that way, but also in the hopes that the soldiers will admire the furniture and get happy thoughts.

--nomad_delta

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 04:03:51 am »

I'm resurecting the topic, so as to not create doublets.
* is the ratio stands (1) or racks (1/2) per dwarfs still true with version 34? (for me they go off duty half the time)
* when creating barrack from a bed, of course I should tick 'barracks' (Y)  ;) but
   - shall I add 'dormitory' (Y) ?  :-\
   - or when selectiong a squad for (T) Trainning, (I)(Q) equipment : (Z) sleep here as well?  ???
   - both of the above? 'dormitory' & (Z) sleep
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 04:09:13 am »

well, some questions first:

do you actually want your dwarfs to take off armor when off duty? if not, no need to worry about the equipment part. As stated in one of the earlier post, there is no need for them to take it off except for you if you want to make it more real. That being said, I have no clue on the ratio.

If you make it a dormitory you also free it for dwarfs who feel like sleeping but are too lazy to actually go to their own bedroom, so I think no to dormitory

edit:
if the thread is a year old, feel free to make a new thread instead of necroing from very long ago
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 04:10:52 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 05:17:53 am »

I generally put beds and armor stands and weapon racks in the barracks purely for decoration. Like Garath said, there's no need to actually take off the armor and they will put their civilian clothes in their own rooms ( it'll be tidier if you give them chests and cabinets otherwise they'll throw them on the ground like adolescents ) and they'll get happier thoughts if they sleep in their own rooms.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 05:22:38 am »

okaydokki, my sheduling (train, patrol, nothing, nothing) let me thought they automatically switch to civil clothing (and I may remember something about dwarves beeing inconfortable with clothes/armor..). Anyway, thanks for the answer, Garath :)

PS: I was so pleased and surprised (in a good way) by the amont of details in DF mechanics (AI) that now I tend to ask too many questions.

(b)(n)(do you want to put this thread to his final grave?)(Y)

(edit) @caddybear: the series of FUN! with gobelins sieges made my paranoid, and I'd rather now have the military sleeping as close as possible from the main gate than having a cosy individual bedroom for them. But that's a (bad?) choice for me to assume :)

(Q)(x)[R.I.P. old thread]
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 05:29:36 am by Argelle »
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 06:08:44 am »

the armor/clothing thing was a minor bug where dwarfs would take a very long time to replace regular clothing that was part of their uniform. And with the bedrooms, there is no reason why they can't sleep in new bedrooms. Just make some yourself and manually assign your military to them and unassign them from their old bedrooms. It's a bit of micromanagement, but If you want them there and still want them to get happy thoughts from sleeping in their own room and admiring their own bed, that's the way.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 11:12:37 am »

For what it's worth, weapon racks don't work:

Bug #1445: Weapon Racks do nothing.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

snoop

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
won't sleep in barracks
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 11:31:25 am »

Hi, I have a related question.  I have a couple of training barracks assigned outside the fort centered on armour/weapon racks and/or archery targets, and soldiers use them occasionally.  But I also have a bunch of beds inside, formerly a dormitory, that I hoped to use as my sleeping barracks.  So the outside barracks are set T I Q (will get rid of the I Q and set to keep uniforms on after reading this thread), and the indoor barracks are set Z.  But what seems to happen is that the military sleeps near the barracks, but not in the beds, just on the floor! Is there a better way to try and do this, or should I just get rid of the sleeping barracks and have them stay in their rooms? My fort's still pretty small so it's not like their rooms are that far from the surface.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 01:13:36 pm »

Just get rid of the sleeping barracks.  If you really want them to sleep in those beds you could assign the beds individually to each dwarf.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

snoop

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 01:48:59 pm »

Thanks.  I don't have enough beds to assign individually so I'll just go ahead and get rid of it.  I could use the extra beds for new bedrooms anyways.