Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Working on a game. Need help fleshing out theme.  (Read 590 times)

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Working on a game. Need help fleshing out theme.
« on: June 16, 2012, 02:23:32 pm »

Alright, I'll explain a little bit. I just have the basic display and engine stuff done around it.
I can't decide which direction to go though.. It will have deep ship design and customization, such as Aurora but without the complications and more streamlining, and probably a tutorial. I have a large amount of free time while on my co-op term and figure I will be productive.

The two choices are:

Realistic sci-fi like Aurora found on our forums and based around realistic solar systems.

Or a more retro style like Shellcore Command based on a fictitious universe, based around collection and havesting energies of different colours. Weapons based on realistic counter-parts. The energies would replace the resources of aurora, and be less complicated.

So thats the two themes, both would have expansive universes, that I hope feel large. The retro style would allow more RTS feeling and stuff, space would mostly be called the "Void" or something.
Both games would have similar gameplay style, fast-paced combat, but when no battlefields active you could skip through time while researching or sending ships on journies. I also plan to allow you to control a single ship, from deathstars, to battlecruisers to the basic fighter.

Anyways I would appreciate input, new ideas, new styles?

Above is the crapy basic triangular fighter. Particle effects(engine thrust/explosions) will most likely be added, and probably a thicker,  tapered or glowing outline, depends on which theme I go with. The ships would be heavily based around shapes among other things. Hence I lean toward retro.. but realistic sci-fi is more.. real.

In the retro world, planets would be replaced with habital "octagonal platforms". Basically if you have read flatlands its kind of like that? Eitherway I need to flesh out the ideas and build around them so I decide which way to program. Im currently just working on docking and flight paths of ships. Next up may be formations or maybe solar systems(or whatever would be equal in a different style).

Thanks in advance of any criticism.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 09:26:30 pm by Immortal »

sayaks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Working on a game. Need help fleshing out theme.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 05:18:52 am »

I'd really like to see a shellcore style game. You can make the resource system advanced even though you use shellcore command style though.

Maybe some energies are collected in different ways, some must be synthesized based on others and so on. Like solar reguires light, thermal needs heat source and so on. Then maybe just a generic "energy" which can be collected around energy spots, like in shellcore command.

But you don't have to make the resources advanced if you don't want to though.

Either way, that's +1 for shellcore command style.