Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: A typical dwarven family  (Read 6210 times)

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: A typical dwarven family
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2012, 01:03:42 pm »

Just because it's necessary doesn't mean it's not heartbreaking.

They're called necessary evils for a reason.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2012, 02:14:26 pm »

How can I cage a dwarf? I only see my animals in the list that I can assign to a cage.
Assuming that a one-level fall always stuns and that stunned dwarves trigger traps, adult dwarves are pretty easy to cage. You need an isolated 1x4 room with a door and a floor made of retracting bridge, and below that another 1x4 room with a door, this one full of cage traps. To get the dwarf onto the bridge, you station her on the tile furthest away from the door. That will cause her to stand on one of the four tiles in the room, so long as there's not another pathable tile within three tiles of the station point (this is why the room is isolated). Then you lock the door and order the lever pulled, and she has nowhere to go but onto a tile with a cage trap.

Children are trickier since it's harder to force them to go places.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2012, 02:30:12 pm »

Comedic Sociopathy aside, I always keep a large room on hand with nice furniture and engravings. I make it a bedroom, dining room and office and assign unhappy dwarves to it until they're content.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2012, 02:35:21 pm »

No mist generator?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2012, 02:07:14 am »

She's very unhappy? Not even miserable. She'll get better if you have a proper dining room. Eventually.

Besides, as a dwarf, she understood that insane dwarves are beyond help. Even if it was her child once, it started being just a threat to the fort. Dispatching of it was one thing she could do to help the situation, and she did. Be glad dwarves are so intelligent.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2012, 08:45:43 am »

I wonder how many forts even live long enough for a child to grow into a peasant :|

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2012, 11:31:26 am »

I wonder how many forts even live long enough for a child to grow into a peasant :|

Mine do - it's kinda funny when all the kids born after the first big migrant wave grow up all at once.

Of course, by that point all essential professions are already filled, so I turn them all into dabbling smiths (for moods) and put them on a 50/50 military/hauler schedule. So their survival rates aren't so hot after that...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]