Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: minecarts  (Read 527 times)

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
minecarts
« on: June 11, 2012, 01:51:08 am »

Got a few questions
1. Can minecarts travel back and forth on same track, can they get past one another?
2. Either way, can they collide w one another?
3. Can you set multiple routes to use the same junction or terminal, will they work it out to get to their stops?
4. Is there a limit to the z Dorf can push or guide up, and what determines that limit?
5. Finally, say I build a single large spiral track up to the surface, will multiple routes use it, must I build another down? I want multiple routes but only to bother making the master up and down rails the once. I don't want to have to construct up and down for each route.

Abysium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: minecarts
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 05:38:14 am »

they can go back and forth on the same track, but they cant pass each other, its possible to have more than one on a circular track, but its a bit clumsy to set up, and is only useful on a 100% automated track [water/magma retrieval]
carts collide, in such a fashion that one always stops and the other gets pushed away (tested with 2 carts going head to head with exact same speeds)
you can have multiple routes on the same junctions and tracks, but i think you cant have the route stops overlaying
dwarves are strong, they can 'push' the cart all the z levels when set to GUIDE
if youre willing to have em move slower, you can only use the 'guide' setting, cant confirm this, but i think 2 carts could pass each other on the same track if they were both guided

also:
you can use carts without tracks, works slower, can only work on 'guide' mode, but sure beats handhauling lumber [also, can use stairs]

cooky173

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 03:31:56 pm »

I am sure you already know...but...u can carve tracks as well. including ramps. d T. i think ramps dont handle 90 degree turns though so the ramp needs to go straight for at least one square on the level above

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 03:47:33 pm »

I've never had issues with turning on ramps.

Oh, one thing to keep in mind: Workshop squares that stop dwarves don't seem to even slow minecarts. Almost lost a dwarf to this; did lose a minecart.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.