Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Earliest Caverns Ever  (Read 1482 times)

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Earliest Caverns Ever
« on: June 09, 2012, 02:01:47 pm »

Pretty standard world settings... didn't use advanced parameters or anything.  My embark is in a warm temperate forest where rivers meet.

Apparently it must be at one of the lowest elevations in the entire world, because...

The caverns start at Z-level negative FIVE!!!!!!!

FIVE!!!!

That's right.  I only get a few quiet layers before I'm at the caverns.  My military isn't, in my opinion, ready to play with the caverns yet.  Heck, I don't even have an aboveground wall done yet!

I'm going to have to fiddle signficantly with my fortress layout design just because the caverns are so close by.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Earliest Caverns Ever
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 02:04:53 pm »

i tried cave embarks and unless something funny comes up (like demons) a dorf with +5 in *any weapon* and shield user from embark is more than enough to keep first layer creatures at bay

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 02:10:06 pm »

Or a couple cage traps. Five mechanisms, five cages (with spares; 10-15 is good), and a 5-tile-long corridor will stop most Layer 1 baddies in their tracks. Forgotten beasts don't show up until later.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 02:12:25 pm »

Or a couple cage traps. Five mechanisms, five cages (with spares; 10-15 is good), and a 5-tile-long corridor will stop most Layer 1 baddies in their tracks. Forgotten beasts don't show up until later.

Add a raisable bridge to that and they are dealed with.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 04:27:45 pm by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 02:22:07 pm »

You could always just build a door, I haven't seen many building destroyers in any of my first cavern layers. They're mostly in the 2nd and 3rd.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 03:12:47 pm »

There are a couple door openers IIRC, so you'd need to watch for those.
Also: Don't trolls live in the 1st cavern layer?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 04:00:19 pm »

Misfortune?
What are ye crazy? Its a dream embark. You have a huge underground open area already dug out for you and ripe for farming. Not to mention all the great creatures you could capture and tame to replace your dogs as military animals or your cattle for your meat industry.

Forget the first 5 layers, use the carvens for your central fortress locations. Finish your above-ground wall (+ roof because flyers) and start fortifying below.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 04:13:57 pm »

Usually the earliest caverns can start is 5 levels below the surface or so, because of default worldgen settings. However, if you changed the setting, you might get them even closer to the surface. Generally, I'd recommend using a minimum of 15 z-levels or so between the surface and the caverns (its an Advanced Worldgen option) if you want to avoid caverns showing up next to the surface.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 06:39:05 pm »

i never find caverns before digging for dozens of levels :<

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 11:47:26 pm »

4 or 5 was my best.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30