Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: thirteen (does anyone remember it?)  (Read 1683 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: thirteen (does anyone remember it?)
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 07:14:15 pm »

That sounds really cool.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 07:26:03 pm »

I remember the game. Liked it and passed it.
The graphics made it age quite well (think WoW but add cell shading and a bit more realism).

It had some interesting features like the mentioned kill shot rewarding you for x-bow/knife kills.
Or the ability to take armor off dead guards (if you didn't tatter it by more direct methods of extermination).

A good game overall but personally i doubt i'm going to reinstall it anytime soon.
Why? Because it's mostly story driven. I played to know what happens (and happened)  next (and in the past) and the game did just that.

And once you reach the end there is little reason to do it again unlike games like Hitman where you can pass every mission in more than 2 ways. Nope XIII took the same route Duke Nukem Forever took not so long ago.
A lot of scripted events and one somewhat narrow path. The difference boing XIII being actually fun and having a interesting story to tell.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 07:46:54 pm »

X-Play was somewhat notoriously biased, as far as I recall.  This seems like one of those games where you go "oh sweet jesus this is great" or you go "meh, it's just quirky graphics and average gameplay."  X-Play, and to a large degree all the big-name review people, are fairly harsh on anything not mainstream.  They'll rally another Warcraft clone as amazing and praise the amazing graphics, but they'll call Mount and Blade mediocre because it has somewhat simpler graphics and a learning curve.  That is, until M&B becomes popular.  Then they'll hail to how amazing it is.

I've seen more recent review people giving actual honest reviews, but in the days of X-Play it was all about "who's got the best graphics" and "who's got a big-name developer" that got their positive review.  An amazing game with simple graphics and low-profile producer would never get noticed.
Pages: 1 [2]