Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Applied necromancy  (Read 866 times)

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Applied necromancy
« on: June 10, 2012, 08:31:35 pm »

I'm going to build a necromancer army with my captured necro to defeat HFS with at some point. What is the extent of line of sight? What shape should to the stockpile room be in order to give the necro complete visual oversight?
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Applied necromancy
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 09:19:03 pm »

And a way to move the corpse of a poisoned-blood forgotten beast would be nice too; once they turn to a skeleton, are they safe for handling?

Edit: I'm getting mixed signals as to weather or not a caged necro can resurrect. Can someone give me a definitive answer?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:52:33 pm by ResMar »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 03:28:23 am »

not while in a cage afaik. Why don't you try it and savescum if it goes wrong
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 04:00:10 am »

He probably can if he's chained. The setup should be like a giant cave spider silk farm, with the necro chained behind fortifications behind drawbridges, and the dwarves hauling corpses in for him.

Or even better: necro behind fortifications and bridges, corpses dropped in front of him from above by a mineshaft, and other bridges that can open the undead army's way to the HFS breach and close the way into the fort.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

saintjebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 08:36:07 am »

Not only that, if you drop a corpse and it explodes, that's more undeadness for the dude to resurrect!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 09:32:34 am »

not really that much actually. 3 pieces minimum - whatever connected to a grasp (hand) or head. I think some 'ornamentations' on the head or body may reanimate too because they are added to the body in general and don't have their own definition, but that's not common. Quietust explained it at some point, but I forgot the details.

Skins and hair reanimate, but falling generally doesn't cause hair to fly off, or for something to lose all it's skin in one heap.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:58:01 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 04:01:52 pm »

I remember reading a breakdown somewhere about being within one step of a body part tagged with [GRASP] or [LIMB] or something. Can anyone find the post?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 04:44:28 pm »

Here's what I'd advise:

1. A pit that you dump corpses down.
2. An area separated by fortifications, a raising bridge, and windows, in that order. Put the necromancer in that area; the corpses should soon turn into zombies.
3. Send the clowns into that area. The clowns will kill some of the zeds, but the latter should kill at least one or two. The necromancer will then raise both the corpses (again), their severed heads and hands (if applicable), and any corpses, heads, or grasping appendages the clowns might have left behind. The purpose of the windows and such is obvious: Some clowns have projectile or other ranged attacks, which the window blocks, and the fortifications keep the building-destroying clowns (all of them) from reaching the windows. The clowns will slowly dwindle in number as the zombie horde increases in number due to their inability to stay dead.
4. Once enough of the clowns are dead, raise the bridge. Without the necromancer re-raising them, the clowns should take care of the zombies, or at least enough to keep the remaining from overrunning your fort.
5. Kill the remaining zombies or clowns by your favorite method.
6. Tonight, we dine in HFS!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 07:56:52 pm »

Heh =)

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 11:14:26 pm »

I think you should let the zeds win and then apply magma to get rid of them and the necromancer. Oh, and good luck with your fps :D

eculc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 07:00:04 am »

well, that *would* be a good idea if zombies could be killed by magma. since they can't, I think a better Idea is to encase them in obsidian. you'd be able to kill the necromancer with magma, but not his reanimated corpses.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 08:45:02 am »

Why kill the necromancer? If I ever catch one, it's being used as an anti-siege weapon. How many goblins can withstand the might of a never-dying army of the undead, fueled by the corpses and skeletons of their predecesors, with every goblin that dies adding another soldier to the army? Once the siege is routed, I'd seal off the necromancer and let the militia clean up the (now de-geared and easily collapsed) zombie horde a bit at a time. Or something.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 09:49:21 am »

Are crossbows good against zombies? I'm thinking of similar uses, but I'd prefer not to engage the undead in melee.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 12:19:36 pm »

Are crossbows good against zombies? I'm thinking of similar uses, but I'd prefer not to engage the undead in melee.

THey do "fall over" = die from them, without splitting into more pieces. Eventually. Fortifications or moats are a must have for that, though.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."