Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Winter Counts: DF style history keeping?  (Read 1708 times)

stolide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Winter Counts: DF style history keeping?
« on: June 07, 2012, 01:13:28 pm »

Winter counts are pictographic historical records that were kept by the Lakota. Looking at some of them in the link below gave me the realization that this is a potentially great way for (at least some) books to work in dwarf fortress!

http://wintercounts.si.edu/index.html
Under the somber sleep of stones, a star is snuffed by a candle.

As Urist McKant Said, "I must act according to the maxim such that I can will that maxim to destroy everything beloved to me at the flip of a lever."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Winter Counts: DF style history keeping?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 07:17:15 pm »

Legends mode? :d

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 07:22:14 pm »

Legends mode? :d

I'd love to see more ways to see the history of your world. Legends mode is neat, but things like this are what makes the world come alive, I think.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 09:25:30 pm »

Reminds me of engravings, actually. That's cool.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 01:15:07 am »

Yeah the new book system is the framework for all this kind of stuff I suppose...I am sure it will get refined in the future and Dwarves will be making libraries of books.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 09:26:28 am »

Winter counts are pictographic historical records that were kept by the Lakota. ...

Perhaps this would be a way to put in a primitive "Legends Mode" for Animal Men races?  They probably shouldn't have books in the current style, and it's not always appropriate for them to do inscriptions; but a Winter Count style record decorated on the hide of a large local creature would make an interesting thing to be one of the tribe's prize possessions.  Each year, they would add a decoration image to the base item, recording some interesting event from the year. 

"This is a tribal record of the Beaver People made of giant yak leather.  On it is an image of Bob in rope reed; this represents Bob becoming Chief of the Beaver People in the year 1.  On it is an image of Aaaargh in moose leather; this represents the defeat of Aaaargh the Squirrel Titan by Joe of the Beaver People in the year 2.  ..."

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 01:13:03 pm »

This is cooool!
I like sushi.