Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: food prodution on non natural grounds?  (Read 4089 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: food prodution on non natural grounds?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 07:54:28 am »

What if u cast multiple layers of obsidian and mine out the center?

Sunlight.

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 07:56:42 am »

@dragginmaster: nope

I'm thinking about how this will work, and to be honest the only thing that can be done up there easily is non-grazer meat production and a hatchery. You'll need to build a magma and water tower first, which requires...effort...but at least it'll be cool!
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 08:28:32 am »

I just checked. Muddy constructed floors will grow crops just fine. I have some strawberries growing on stone blocks.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 09:34:04 am »

That said, it's easy as hell to get seeds for outdoor crops.
But they wouldn't grow at all in (say) a glacial-type biome.  Unless things have changed since my last glacier embark.

(Or I did it wrong, back then, but that was just a matter of exposing sub-glacial soil and trying to farm, like I might do with non-glacial soils.  Sub-glacial soil left as underground tiles (i.e. leaving the ice rood) worked with subterranean plants, though.)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 09:47:52 am »

I wouldn't know, I haven't ever played a glacier map. Though... getting mud would be nearly impossible anyway.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 09:48:28 am »

I just checked. Muddy constructed floors will grow crops just fine. I have some strawberries growing on stone blocks.
Ah, I see.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 10:05:15 am »

You don't need that much space, about a 10x10 worth of farm plots shared between a variety of plants can supply a fort of 170 indefinitely with food, booze, dye and thread. Though, if you're building a magma pump stack anyway, think big and make a hanging garden for trees  :D

EDIT: Oh, I see, MAGMAAAA isn't even required. Safe tree farm is still a good thing, though... just take care that they don't clean up the mud from the constructed floor.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 10:07:02 am by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 10:20:30 am »

Trees need obsidian, though, so will be more work than just the farms.

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 10:29:58 am »

i'm more into building essentially a reversed hollow pyramid over a pillar and then the dwarven city over it (mimicking current human settlements)
of course the pillar base will be made entirely of supports linked to a not so well hidden lever

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 10:40:13 am »

I wouldn't know, I haven't ever played a glacier map. Though... getting mud would be nearly impossible anyway.
Mud's not essential.  (In fact, can't think of the last time I've had to muddy ground.  40d-era might have been the last time.  Soil will work for crops.  Aboveground and belowground, according to the already mentioned lighting statuses... And I tend to channel into soil for belowground Z-levels but with aboveground light levels, because it also gives a surface devoid of those farm-plot interupting stones and other non-soil squares, giving a predictable area that can all be devoted to farming.

Anyway, at least part of my glaciers have (under at least one layer of natural ice-block, somewhere on the map) had a soil layer.  Either that or I'm digging under a corner of the map that has snow-covered soil (may include trees growing in it), in order to get my soil floors.  And if exposed to daylight (by chanelling from above, and even before natural snow-covering started) it went from being able to grow underground plants to not being able to grow anything at all.  (Which I take as meaning that it would be aboveground plants, except that no above-ground plants worked in the tundra-like biome.  Certainly there were none growing naturally, just the trees.  I suppose modding one of the in as being tolerant of arctic-conditions might have proved this theory.)

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2012, 12:58:37 pm »

build your farms directly below the pillar. so when you pull the leaver it will collapse onto the farms.
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2012, 01:21:28 pm »

build your farms directly below the pillar. so when you pull the leaver it will collapse onto the farms.

i wanted to have farms up the pillar just a couple of levels below the city, otherwise i'll have plenty of dwarves wasting time going down to plant and bring stuff up

i'd want to have everyone living up in the city with only migrants and invaders going up the stairs

is there a way to make plants forbidden for everyone minus whoever grabs them for brewing? that way plants + booze from caravans should be enough to keep up a 100ish population alcoholic needs, bringing along plenty of dogs for meat

otherwise which non grazer animal wields the greatest amount of meat and has reasonable growth/birth rate?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2012, 05:16:35 pm »

... otherwise which non grazer animal wields the greatest amount of meat and has reasonable growth/birth rate?

If you give them enough nest boxes, geese, turkeys, and/or pea's will produce so many offspring, you'll quickly be overrun.

Check out the poultry comparison, very helpful.

Kuromimi505

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2012, 05:27:36 pm »

If you are working with limited grazing space, Reindeer are what you want. They are very very light eaters, but still have a large amount of meat and bone.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2012, 09:04:06 pm »

That said, it's easy as hell to get seeds for outdoor crops.
But they wouldn't grow at all in (say) a glacial-type biome.  Unless things have changed since my last glacier embark.

(Or I did it wrong, back then, but that was just a matter of exposing sub-glacial soil and trying to farm, like I might do with non-glacial soils.  Sub-glacial soil left as underground tiles (i.e. leaving the ice rood) worked with subterranean plants, though.)
Outdoor seeds don't grow on a mountain biome, so if your embark intersects a glacier and mountain biome then all outdoor farms on the mountain biome of the embark can't grow outdoor seeds.

Mud's not essential.  (In fact, can't think of the last time I've had to muddy ground.  40d-era might have been the last time.  Soil will work for crops.  Aboveground and belowground, according to the already mentioned lighting statuses... And I tend to channel into soil for belowground Z-levels but with aboveground light levels, because it also gives a surface devoid of those farm-plot interupting stones and other non-soil squares, giving a predictable area that can all be devoted to farming.
You are correct in saying that soil works for crops, but if you want to grow on stone then you need mud.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."
Pages: 1 [2]