Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: CKII - Broken Kingdoms  (Read 14630 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: CKII - Broken Kingdoms
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 08:12:03 pm »

Yep, I've already given him up to his aunt to raise (she has the diplomacy path, and the ambitious trait, which is where he got that). I'm thinking I'll probably toss poor Eudes into prison before too much longer so I can kill him off before Herbert croaks. It'll be a negative hit with my vassals, but I'm still small enough that it doesn't really matter.

In other news, the kingdom of Bohemia has formed itself, and is to my knowledge the first Christian kingdom to arise. I recently fired most of my ministers and replaced them with claimants, since it's right around the time in the game (~1080+) that claimants finally start becoming common. I just checked my staff, and my spymaster is the heir to Bohemia, which uses Seniority succession. Hmm...

Here's an updated snapshot of Benoit:
Spoiler: Benoit, Age 13 (click to show/hide)

Not much question left about who I'm going to leave behind as my heir...

In-Game:
11 April, 1088:
I am now the Duke of Valois. After much thought, I have had Eudes imprisoned. It pains me to be so cruel to the boy, but he stands in the way of the ascent of our house. The sin is my own to bear, and I do it for all of my kin; I shall pay for it at the hands of He who judges all men.

9 December, 1088:
My son is dead at my hands. May God forgive me.

12 February, 1089:
Benoit has come into his own. Despite the blood on my hands, I feel that I have made the right choice... I shall leave House Karling in able hands when I pass from this world and face my judgment.

Spoiler: Benoit (click to show/hide)

(OOC: It would appear that my next character is going to be the 11th century version of Winston Churchill.)

6 March, 1089:
I have secured a marriage between Benoit and Duchess Gertrude of Brunswick. He has left Rethel for her lands to the east. I fear for his safety, but he writes to me to inform me that he has already been made chancellor, and is enjoying great success.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 08:45:21 pm by Lord Dullard »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 09:20:43 pm »

16 April, 1097:
Paris is now in my grasp. I have revoked the titles of Jaufre Capet, and now hold Paris itself as well as the barony of Montfort-L'Amaury. I am hated within the duchy for my tyranny, but I treat this as a distasteful necessity. The actions will be largely forgotten when Benoit ascends, and they will be to his benefit. Besides, Paris is a considerable addition to my demesne, and much needed. In the past several years, Etienne, the heir of Thibauld, has multiplied his holdings and now takes the title Duke of Orleans. To the southeast, Folmar, the Duke of Upper Loraine, now styles himself the King of Lotharingia. All around me, my enemies are consolidating their power, and it is essential that I gain the lead.

Luxembourg is ours as well, and I have obtained a claim upon Artois, and aspire to gain one upon Hainaut. With luck, Benoit will begin his reign with enough power at his disposal to begin the true work of our bloodline. I have recently learned that I have a grandson. I feel secure in the knowledge that my life has not been spent in vain.

=====

29 September, 1098:
The Journal of Benoit Karling, Duke of Valois
My father has passed on. May his soul rest in peace.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The old man wasn't much of a human being, but he was my father, and he accomplished much during his time on this earth. He always told me of his dreams to bring glory back to our house, and that we were the last worthy progeny of Charles the Great. Despite his failings, I had much respect for him. I shall endeavor to continue his work as best as I may.

26 April, 1099:
I have received a message from Brunswick; my beloved wife Gertrud has passed away, a victim of pneumonia. I can still feel her warmth in my arms. It seems all of those who are closest to me are being taken away; perhaps this is my penance for gaining so much by my father's cruelty. But my two sons need me, and Valois needs me, so I must carry on.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 09:43:45 pm by Lord Dullard »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 10:16:11 pm »

Duke Benoit of Valois valiantly carved his way through Hainaut, Liege, and Artois. He was on the path to become one of the (if not the most) powerful men in Europe.

He died at the age of 30 on the field of battle, successfully defending his lands against Etienne the Cruel, Duke of Orleans.

Long live Herbert I, Duke of Brunswick, Valois and Luxembourg!

(I knew the RNG was being too kind to me. On the bright side, even though I'm now a 13 year old with mediocre skills, I at least have control of Brunswick, which doubles the size of my influence.)

« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 10:17:50 pm by Lord Dullard »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 10:26:05 pm »

That's a lot of titles in two generations.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 10:29:22 pm »

Well, three generations; I actually had to give about half of those titles away immediately upon inheriting them, since all my vassals were about to revolt. About half of the titles were gotten through warfare on the part of Benoit and Herbert, and the other half were inherited titles from the Duchy of Brunswick.

Plus, I've been playing very aggressively. If I'm going to reunite the HRE, inaction won't serve me well. And I don't mind utterly losing/being crushed, the risk is half the fun.  :D

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2012, 04:10:29 pm »

Looks like you're well on your way towards a king title!  Good luck.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2012, 09:43:04 pm »

Very tired, and I won't have long to play tonight. I wanted to post an overview screenshot of the situation after Benoit's death and his son's inheritance of Brunswick, though:

I'm currently sieging the High Chief of Pomerania. Several courtier/minister deaths (plus Benoit's) left me with over six hundred gold, and I decided I might as well use a chunk of it to hire mercenary armies and take more land. More land is always good.

As you can see, after inheriting all those Brunswickian troops, I also beat the tar out of the Duke of Orleans and took Reims back. In your face, Orleans.

ETA: Shiiiiit. My regent died, and the man who took his place has an intrigue skill of 21. This does not bode well.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 09:45:47 pm by Lord Dullard »
Pages: 1 [2]