Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf bedroom sizes  (Read 1744 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Dwarf bedroom sizes
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 09:13:00 pm »

It will become a "shared" room, which quarters the value.  In fact, I recommend people check the [r] screen for red rooms.  These are shared, and devalued a lot.  If rooms share floor space (not counting doors), they'll be considered shared by the game.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 12:42:00 am »

What about rooms with workshops in them? Does that do anything?

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2006, 01:47:00 am »

If someone was using the shop while they were trying to sleep, they'd be irritated by the noise.  Otherwise I can't imagine it'd do much that's bad.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2006, 02:14:00 am »

Clever...  I wonder if the extra nine spaces contained by the workshop would earn the dwarf more happiness than they'd lose from the noise?

Maybe dwarves should get upset if other people spend time in their room... although then they'd get upset even if someone came into to detail the floor, add new furniture, or make other improvements, which doesn't really make sense.

Certainly it makes sense for dwarves to be annoyed if other people constantly pass through their room to reach someplace else, though.

Hrm, there's another idea for an odd fortress:  No connecting corridors, just a huge grid of rooms seperated by doors.  Of course, noise would be a problem...

Even right now, if you need a room in a hurry you can slap two doors into a hallway a few spaces apart, throw a bed in between them, and presto!  Room.

[ August 15, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2006, 02:16:00 am »

Was it you that suggested the noise passage idea before?  It seems popular.  I'd be annoyed too.  Especially because I only have one door, so the person might never leave.

edit:  Workshops cannot be "mastered" by rooms.  I think this is also true of coffins.

[ August 15, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2006, 04:10:00 am »

In my latest fortress, common rooms are 3x3 with a pillar in the center tile. I have four noble "palaces" laid out, each with a central 5x5 room ajoined by two 3x3 rooms, no pillars, all part of the same household. The four are actually laid out in such a way that they all open in the back to a central shared courtyard, about 8x7 with two pillars. Because my hallways are fairly stylized, with intersections opening into large circular halls before continuing into the standard one wide hallways in all directions, I have a fair amount of irregular dead space in my common housing areas, where a 3x3 won't fit. I recently put in "side units" that fill these areas nicely with common housing areas. As the irregular rooms have eight floor tiles each, they're each roughly equivalent to the normal 3x3 with a pillar rooms, so it works out nicely. I also have a few 1x3 "shacks" that just sort of got tossed in where there was space -- nobody uses those now, but if I need them, it'll be nice to be able to just throw a door on them. For any homeless, I currently just have a hostel next to the entrance to the fortress, which can be handy for when a wave of immigrants turns out to be about 50% bigger than was planned for.

I have one legendary stone crafter, and he spends all of his time making masterwork craft goods, instruments, and toys, all out of different colors of stone. Because his field of expertise is so narrow, and his assignment (crafts) is so large, I often see him squandering his talents on areas he has absolutely no ability at all in, like decorating bins with turtle shell, or carving bone arrows. I do have workshops assigned to do those things, because I think they're important, but what I really want to do is give him his own private workshop, where he can focus on the things he's actually good at, instead of gluing macaroni onto paper and trying to pass it off as his "legendary crafts" (he used to be a plump helmet planter, so he didn't even have pre-Artifact talent for decorating with turtle shells). For this reason, I think it would be nice if workshops could be "ownable" -- legendary dwarves really deserve the special attention anyway. I actually already have a special room cut out for him with room for a workshop, but I haven't yet installed one.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2006, 04:37:00 am »

There's actually a req for workshop ownership up in dev somewhere...  there was also some ranting in that same area about apprentices and masters, as well, unless that was removed.  It was related to burrows, since this also involves controlling jobs and locations.  There just needs to be a lot of ways to prioritize and move dwarves around, and everybody has their own way they want work to unfold.  I'll be adding new tools like this as we move along.  I think the ideas about nesting and adding to the [v p l] list are also one of the things that stone crafter needs.
Pages: 1 [2]