Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Hospitals: Very dangerous and to be avoided at all costs?  (Read 10912 times)

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
Re: Hospitals: Very dangerous and to be avoided at all costs?
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2012, 12:46:12 pm »

What IS the best way to keep you fort decontaminated?  I do the standard "Dwarven Bathtub" just inside each entrance to the fort, as well as the entrance to the hospital, but all it does is put the contaminants into the tub, and now any dwarf who walks through the tub gets infected... kinda pointless

A dwarf that steps into water + contaminant will not emerge from the water with contaminant on his clothing.  I don't know whether a dwarf that goes in barefoot will pick up the syndrome from the transient contact with his skin, but any dwarf with shoes on, at least, should be safe.  As far as I know.

Dwarves with no shoes are in a world of trouble anyway....

Yeah, the contaminants definitely stay in the bathtub, but dwarves / pets that walk through the water briefly come in contact with it, and could get infected by the disease.  I've definitively seen this happen in an older fort where some Forgotten Beast extract got in a tub, and everyone who walked through it promptly got burned legs, despite not having an extract in their inventory.

Supposedly shoes help, but I've seen it transfer throughout my fortress despite being well-shoed; not sure if you need to keep legs covered etc.  And animals have no clothing options :C

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2012, 07:41:04 pm »

Hospitals and nearby hallways:  Fortress killers when Forgotten Beast Extract comes into the picture.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2012, 08:18:50 pm »

If you're tracking FB syndromes through the fortress, the hospital isn't what's killing you.  You'd get the same results without one, as dwarves walk t o the booze pile, the dining room, the booze pile, their bedroom, the booze pile, ....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]