Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steel industry adjustments  (Read 1551 times)

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Steel industry adjustments
« on: June 05, 2012, 08:07:02 pm »

So, brief me, what needs to be running what to keep things going? Not sure what adjustments have been made to the pig iron and steel reactions, if any.
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
Re: Steel industry adjustments
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 09:38:48 pm »

It's basically nearly the same as it has been for a while.  See the Steel entry in the wiki for details.

The only recent changes are:
1) Stone and ore drop at a fixed 25% chance now (instead of depending on miner skill level); this means less flux, fuel, and iron ores now
2) Smelting bituminous coal now produces 9 coke (instead of 3) and lignite produces 5 coke (instead of 2); this helps make up for the reduced fuel drop rate
3) Smelting ores produces x4 more bars; this makes up for the reduced iron ore drop rate
4) Hauling stone and ores is now slower if you don't use wheelbarrows or minecarts (weight now affects hauling speed)

This means that things are a bit tougher if you're really low on flux stone than it was in pre-v0.34.08 releases, but otherwise things are pretty much the same.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 09:42:58 pm »

Tut. So to match my hematite burning I would have to have 2 pig iron + steel smelters at once?

The changes to production are pretty loco, I spent some time digging stuff out before metaling up, so I won't run out of raw material for a while now. And with  a stockpile of 500 coke and iron bars...
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 09:54:43 pm »

Tut. So to match my hematite burning I would have to have 2 pig iron + steel smelters at once?

Two pig iron smelters and two steel smelters, yeah, since smelting one hematite produces four bars of iron.

The fact that smelting one ore gives you four bars now also helps make up for the reduced fuel drop rate.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 09:31:41 am »

So if in 0.34 I embark with say 15 cassiterite, 15 malachite, 3 granite, 20 bituminous coal and some wood, I can make 120 bronze items? That's crazy! In 0.31 I could only make 30.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 10:17:37 am »

The time taken to haul the ores to the smelter is significant now.  It can be even longer than the time taken by the smelting.  (Wheelbarrows only help get the ores to the stockpile -- and they work great for that.  But a dwarf still has to drag each ore boulder from the stockpile to the smelter by hand.)

So, depending on how you lay out your work areas, you might find that the smelting takes longer than expected.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

eculc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 10:38:24 am »

The time taken to haul the ores to the smelter is significant now.  It can be even longer than the time taken by the smelting.  (Wheelbarrows only help get the ores to the stockpile -- and they work great for that.  But a dwarf still has to drag each ore boulder from the stockpile to the smelter by hand.)

So, depending on how you lay out your work areas, you might find that the smelting takes longer than expected.

if you set up another stockpile for your ores near the smelter, set to take from the main one and give to the smelter, you can get around this.

magicwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 12:46:27 pm »

I think eculc has the right idea. It seems to be more optimal to have smaller stockpiles near your industry that feed your workshops  being fed from a large central stockpile being from from a small stockpile near the resource gathering point. This way smelters don't have to spend time moving large stones without wheelbarrows from the central stockpile. The small stockpile near the resource gathering might be superfluous, but it could speed the process along with proper application of dwarven death track mine carts.
If I wanted to do things the "easy way", then I wouldn't be playing Dwarf Fortress.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 01:07:16 pm »

I think eculc has the right idea. It seems to be more optimal to have smaller stockpiles near your industry that feed your workshops  being fed from a large central stockpile being from from a small stockpile near the resource gathering point. This way smelters don't have to spend time moving large stones without wheelbarrows from the central stockpile. The small stockpile near the resource gathering might be superfluous, but it could speed the process along with proper application of dwarven death track mine carts.

Yeah, exactly.  What I do standard for all my workshops is lay a 5x5 stockpile over top of it (so I'm left with a 1-tile thick ring of stockpile circling the workshop), set to take whatever ingredients the workshop uses from wherever the 'main' ingredient stockpile is.  This way the dwarf only needs to take 2 steps to get an ingredient.  For stuff like smelting ore, I may split that stockpile ring into two halves; one for ore, one for fuel.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 01:08:59 pm by Xen0n »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 01:11:26 pm »

So if in 0.34 I embark with say 15 cassiterite, 15 malachite, 3 granite, 20 bituminous coal and some wood, I can make 120 bronze items? That's crazy! In 0.31 I could only make 30.

embark point costs havn't been adjusted?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

sir_schwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 01:24:12 pm »

Nope. Also using Track Stops you can have the entire contents of a minecart dumped onto a specific square(pit).  Haven't tried making it the central square of the smelter.  Might be FUN if objects dumped from a minecart cause falling damage.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 01:26:24 pm »

on a slightly related note, it's the work of moments to adjust the steel and pig iron reactions to take double the iron/pig iron, produce double the pig iron/steel and still take the same amount of flux
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 09:52:57 am »

Nope. Also using Track Stops you can have the entire contents of a minecart dumped onto a specific square(pit).  Haven't tried making it the central square of the smelter.  Might be FUN if objects dumped from a minecart cause falling damage.

If you dump it down a hole (pit) and it falls down one or more Z-levels, then it will cause falling damage to any creatures underneath.  In fact, even small objects can cause a lot of damage (see bug #5945).

As such, dumping from above onto the center square of your workshops is probably a bad idea for the health of your dwarves.  :P

sir_schwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 09:47:54 am »

Quote from: HiEv
As such, dumping from above onto the center square of your workshops is probably a bad idea for the health of your dwarves. 

Perfect way to send all that mandated junk from a noble to the noble.  Speedy delivery a plus.  In Dwarviet Russia, mandate hammers youuuuuuuuuu!