Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Lazy cats refuse to work  (Read 5005 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Lazy cats refuse to work
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 02:16:28 pm »

[TWO_HANDED:4000] ---- What size of creature to use weapon "one-handed" anything smaller needs two hands
[MINIMUM_SIZE:2000] ---- Size that is needed to "hold" the weapon, can haul. but can't use.

Shaso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 10:57:29 pm »

Hey Hugo, think you could help me out with some little problems i'm having as well as general brainstorming.

I've turned my attention to my undead fortress and things are... kinda iffy.

I wanted to have a single necromancer (and later went back to have a male and female necromancer to live together happily) with the rest of the fortress being a bunch of undead that basically take care of their needs as well as do all the menial labor.

I've done a LOT of cool stuff like made a new assignable position called "Necromancer" that replaces and fills the roles of expedition leader, manager, book keeper, and so on. Basically all the leadership and administrative stuff. The militia commander (which will be an undead) will handle the justice system as well as military stuff.

Anyway, everything basically worked how I wanted it to but then I decided I wanted the male and female necromancers to have their own unique graphics to really stand out, that way I gave all my undead little skeleton graphics (from ironhand set) and am using custom male and female graphics for my necros.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a simple way to accomplish that. I tried giving the necromancer castes (one for male, one for female) high natural ability in certain skills that I would otherwise never use on general undead, like diagnosis, and doctor-related things, then giving the custom graphics to people of that position (like chief medical dwarf) or DIAGNOSER and stuff like that, but it never made any difference at all, they always showed up as the default and standard graphics no matter what their skills or assigned positions were despite the graphic txt pointing to different positions and skills having different graphics. I couldn't really find any documentation on how these graphic sets work exactly and looked for hours.

Ultimately I had an idea that I thought would be clever. I gave the male and female necromancer casts an innate ability to transform into a whole new creature type because as their own creatures, I could assign them unique graphics.

And it worked. Their innate makes them change from skeletons into their custom graphics the first second the game is unpaused after embark. However, despite the creatures they turn into having intelligent, equips, etc and honestly just copy-paste of all the stuff their caste used, they seem to get naked immediately and unequip everything. Which i'm cool with, cause I really don't care if they do since they're just the nobles and rulers. However, it seems that while transformed I can't assign them to any furniture. I can still make them nobles, but I can't assign them offices, bedrooms, or anything like that. They simply don't show up on the list.

I can see no logical reason for this outside of transformed creatures simply not being allowed to be assigned things as a hard-coded thing, which i'm guessing is also why they get naked right after transforming.

So i'm rather stumped at how to proceed.

Any ideas on how to change their graphics without using transformation? That would be the easiest solution so they can just remain full blown members of the same creature, just different castes, but the graphics won't cooperate with me on that front. I've also been giving them [PET][COMMON_DOMESTIC] so I can embark with specifically 1 male and 1 female as well as additional undead slaves and it doesn't seem to interfere with anything as I can still assign them jobs via dwarf therapist. I use the undead caste with pop ration 10000 and male and female casts ratio at 1 so the world will actually gen but I don't start with any random males/females without expressly brining them with me.

As moddable as dwarf fortress is, I wish it were even more so. So many ideas that just can't quite achievee. After I get all this mess sorted out i'm going to try to figure out a way to craft corpses out of bones then trying to find a way to animate them. Already am able to bring back my undead slaves when they happen to die, but it would be nice to craft new ones out of the remains of other creatures. One problem at a time though unfortunately.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:02:07 pm by Shaso »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 11:06:49 pm »

well for custom graphics assign them to teh necromancer Positions
   [NECRO_MALE:<your sprite sheet id>:X:Y:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [NECRO_FEMALE:<your sprite sheet id>:X:Y:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
            ^^^These are noble positions

The reason for your "transformed" necros completely failing in their basic functions is "Creatures not MAIN RACE cannot do labors as they are considered outsiders/pets" so turning NECRO to DWARF when you play as NECROs will mess stuff up baddly

btw Transformations always strip the creature

and also PM on these Ideas, I have an IRC that I can link to you so I can more so discuss what can and cannot be done. and what is a good workaround to do what you want. Believe me I got some messed up stuff going on like Dogs turning into dwarves for slave labor.

Btw necromancer fortress = epic

EDIT:
It's late so sorry for brief and probally not very helpful response. You also have alot of questions :P my brain just cannot fathom these atm.

Shaso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 11:38:29 pm »

well for custom graphics assign them to teh necromancer Positions
   [NECRO_MALE:<your sprite sheet id>:X:Y:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [NECRO_FEMALE:<your sprite sheet id>:X:Y:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
            ^^^These are noble positions

Oh anything is helpful :)

As for this though, I attempted this. I used the custom position name I had created and it did not change their sprites. I even tried using the default positions just for experiment sake like mayor and that did not work either. I suppose I should go back and experiment some more though.

I kinda figured them not being the main creature race would be the problem, but I was hoping since a lot of stuff carries over from transforming that it would as well.

Well, if I can get these sprites to show up correctly, I won't need to transform them at all and that will solve a lot of problems.

I just wish I could bring 1 male and 1 female and a large workforce with me at embark without making them pets because seeing the TAME tag on all of them is kind of annoying. I even tried creating a syndrome that removed the pet and common_domestic tags from them all and spread like a plague but it didn't seem to work, perhaps i'll try again later as I was worried about other things more.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 11:47:59 pm »

Could you send me the cat raws anyway? Somethings preventing the cat civ I made from being controllable. The tag is definitely in there.  Any other requirements I should know of?
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 12:09:45 am »

Leave the PET stuff off, and make a 1x1 building that can produce a reaction to turn a zombie into a necro (boiling stone, inhaled syndrome) that means once transformed. you can put the [NOBREATHE] tag back on. Now time for rest.

Shaso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 12:10:59 am »

Could you send me the cat raws anyway? Somethings preventing the cat civ I made from being controllable. The tag is definitely in there.  Any other requirements I should know of?

Alrighty, i'll post them here. It definitely was meant for personal use and not to be distributed since I tinker with this stuff on the fly a lot, but here you go. Hopefully this will be everything you need, i've never attempted to put my stuff on the forums like this before.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
^ That one needs to go into entity_default. I basically just used what was already there for dwarves and pointed it to cats instead, might need to replace the dwarven entry, not sure.

^ Replaces the entry for creature cat in the common_domestic file.

And of course, as what this thread was originally about, you have to open up the item_weapon.txt and adjust the sizes for minimum and twohand entries for the pick and I also adjust both the great axe and training axe in there to 4000 for twohand, and 2000 minimum and that was required to make the little buggers actually mine and chop trees.

I was very content with my standard kitty fortress, but after 2 titans attacked and wiped out most of my population, I knew these kitties would have to start evolving in order to survive, hence the adamantine skin and venom and acid blood and so on. What's strange though is in combat simulations, despite the adamantine skin, what ends up happening is 90% of attacks against them miss, but as soon as they get hit like at all, they seem to lose a toe and then instantly bleed to death. I'm not sure whats up with that, but they're still quite deadly. I was going to investigate further but my undead fortress was coming along so well I haven't messed with kitties in a while.

If it doesn't work or you have problems let me know, I "believe" those were the only files I changed for the kitty related stuff, but i've modified so much stuff for the necromancer fortress I really can't be sure.

Edit: Oh yeah I did remember something else, you see that part up there called CATMOUTH? You need to go into body_default.txt and add this...

It's exactly the same as a regular mouth but it also has grasp enabled so your lil kitties can use tools and such.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 12:16:28 am by Shaso »

Shaso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 12:22:42 am »

Well i'll be. I went back and tried the graphics pointing to positions again, and this time it worked... I don't know what I did different this time, because i've attempted this before and it did not work.

I must've made some little typo or error somewhere. Sigh.

Shaso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 11:33:11 pm »

My necromancer fortress is amazing. I've basically done everything I set out to do. The one and only problem I have now is after transforming the genderless undead into specific male and female caste members of the same creature and burrowing them together, they absolutely will not advance beyond "Friend". Those cold necro women friend-zone the guys every single time. It seems like this sort of thing can't be worked around, but I recall seeing a thread about editing the relationships via memory editing so I might give that a whirl.

Everything else is working amazingly though, now to begin trying to find some way to create new undead without relying on breeding or immigration.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2012, 12:03:11 am »

you can make the Female PET and she will be forced to breed lol

Shaso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 03:16:03 pm »

Oh I know, but I don't want her running around "TAME". I also don't explicitly want her to breed, I just wish that they would become lovers and eventually get married. It's more of an immersion thing I guess, I don't really care if they have kids.

Oh well, i'm still very happy with what I have going on here.

I'm working on my old volcano fortress shenannigans where my entire fortress was built INSIDE a volcano and made out of pure obsidian made from obsidian farming. I just love having a fortress surrounded by magma on all sides with no way in or out except a drawbridge through a tunnel of obsidian leading to the outside. Good times. It takes forever to obsidianize enough layers of a volcano to make it really work though, very time consuming.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 05:30:51 pm »

If your undead are genderless, make a male zombie and female zombie. It could be when they are transformed they assume they are still genderless. Altho I did have oddies with Dwarven women married to golems....
Pages: 1 [2]