Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Madness of the children  (Read 4385 times)

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
Re: Madness of the children
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 11:54:51 pm »

Alright fair enough.

I've actually had the same problem in my latest fort. I've managed to keep them from going insane by using a liberal smattering (over 100 scattered throughout my fortress)  of masterwork statues and amazing dining facilities, but that's only bought me a teeny bit of time to produce massive amounts of clothes. My suggestion is to assign a bunch of random haulers to clothesmaking duties, and mass-produce clothing.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 12:07:27 am »

Children are there so my rangers can use them as target practice. It's annoying but but luckily killing them only upsets the parent to any degree and that's easily solved. Hope it's fixed soon though, the parents with multiple litters are a problem.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 01:39:54 am »

Huh. I use the novel strategy of making clothes for the kids. You get enough by making them with elven cloth (turns out they DO have a use). Edit the d_init file to prevent too many children from being born, as too many children means you need more clothes.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 02:24:56 am »

Huh. I use the novel strategy of making clothes for the kids. You get enough by making them with elven cloth (turns out they DO have a use). Edit the d_init file to prevent too many children from being born, as too many children means you need more clothes.
Where's the fun in doing things the right way? I agree though, elves are useful for once. I'm at 4k average units of prepared food and each one sells for 1.9-5k which means I can buy out the caravan using all the spare food, then be up to that total again in no time.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 10:53:47 am »

He does make clothes for them, the problem is that they go insane from nakedness anyways.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 12:17:34 pm »

The latest devlog says "handled child clothing thoughts, hopefully for real this time." So with any luck at all this will be less of a problem after the next release. I suspect he was pretty careful testing it this time around.

Of course, we'll still have to make clothes for the little buggers, but hopefully they'll go ahead and be happy when they get them.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 12:53:55 pm »

At least we don't have to make kobold-sized clothing for the 2-year-olds.   :P
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 01:43:57 pm »

I have honestly not seen this problem yet.  I have plenty of clothes, and I have a legendary dining hall and well stocked piles of food and booze.  So even if the kids get cranky from being naked they're getting over it very fast.  I'm not going to really notice child moods unless they tantrum.  I'm going to have to check some thoughts.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 05:48:53 pm »

they have plenty of socks, shoes, tunics, trousers, robes, dresses, and more!  but they are all going insane!

This is most likely your problem.  Just make three things, socks or shoes, shirts or tunics, and trousers.  Anything else is at best irrelevant and at worst prevents a dwarf from wearing something that is relevant.  I suspect the dresses are the culprit here.  I am certain that dresses do not count towards being properly clothed, and I'm almost certain (although I've never tested it) that wearing a dress will prevent a dwarf from wearing a shirt or trousers, therefore that dwarf will be unhappy.

I am currently running a 34.07 fort with 2.5 children for every adult.  Not one of the children has ever had a negative thought about clothing (or lack thereof). 
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 06:54:11 pm »

Aaaand, 0.34.11 is now out, which should fix this problem. Yay!
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2012, 07:26:49 pm »

I suspect the dresses are the culprit here.  I am certain that dresses do not count towards being properly clothed, and I'm almost certain (although I've never tested it) that wearing a dress will prevent a dwarf from wearing a shirt or trousers, therefore that dwarf will be unhappy.

This is not true.  Dresses count as upper-body covering, though they do not also count as lower-body covering, which may cause some confusion about whether they work at all.  If your dwarf is wearing a dress, they will still need pants and footwear, as odd as that seems.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 08:57:15 am »

I suspect the dresses are the culprit here.  I am certain that dresses do not count towards being properly clothed, and I'm almost certain (although I've never tested it) that wearing a dress will prevent a dwarf from wearing a shirt or trousers, therefore that dwarf will be unhappy.

This is not true.  Dresses count as upper-body covering, though they do not also count as lower-body covering, which may cause some confusion about whether they work at all.  If your dwarf is wearing a dress, they will still need pants and footwear, as odd as that seems.

Really?  So appropriate top-wear is shirt, tunic, or dress?
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 10:25:44 pm »

Really?  So appropriate top-wear is shirt, tunic, or dress?

I haven't verified this, but I suspect that now that armor counts as clothing for preventing bad thoughts (as of v0.34.11) then anything in the item_armor.txt file should work.

This means that breastplates, mail shirts, armor, coats, shirts, cloaks, tunics, togas, capes, vests, dresses, and robes should all work.

Still, I haven't tested all of those and I'm not sure if there isn't some specific parameter they need to work, so use with caution.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
Pages: 1 [2]