Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Start as a vampire in adventure mode?  (Read 3969 times)

RedReign

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:sleeve chee-wow-wow]
    • View Profile
Start as a vampire in adventure mode?
« on: June 15, 2012, 01:18:49 pm »

Is there any way I could make it so that vampires and other night creatures/undead can be playable right off the bat? I've tried looking into the raw files but I can't seem to find vampires nor any way I could make them a playable "race." I'm mostly interested in vampires, but playing as any other undead characters or night creatures would be cool also.

Perhaps there is a mod that does that? I've tried searching the forums, no luck.

Thanks in advance for any replies. :)

EDIT: Read down, I've found my answer (mostly)

Here's the problem now:

I can make a vampire outsider. The first time I created it, it made a night creature (or so it said in the character description) and the town I was in immediately tried to kill me. Even the chickens were after me.

I made a second character just to make sure, and it turned out to be an actual vampire (according to the character description). This time, the hamlet I spawned in was friendly to me.

What gives, guys?

What gives?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 08:48:54 pm by RedReign »

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
Re: Start as a vampire in adventure mode?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 01:25:35 pm »

You can make an inorganic that turns into a gas at room(or body) temperature that carries a syndrome copied from the sample interaction for vampires. And create an adventurer reaction that gives you a boulder of the stuff for free.

However that is actually a bad idea, as you will never get any stronger.  If you want to be stronger from the start you can make it a syndrome that turns you into the Hulk instead.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

RedReign

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 01:28:48 pm »

I mostly meant with creature tokens. Apparently there is one (or there used to be one, anyway) that is [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE] or something like that that allows a creature to be a playable race. I have zero modding experience when it comes to DF, so I'd have to be walked through the process of making that happen.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 01:44:53 pm »

Well the only way you can use creature tokens is if you create a vampire creature first, like this one.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
or one from the fear the Night mod, then you have to make an entity for it and put [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE] in the entity.

It has an apply creature variation fertile, because I give sterile vampires an interaction to turn into this so they can get pregnant and have demonspawn children destroy the fort!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 01:49:15 pm by Courtesy Arloban »
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

RedReign

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 01:57:50 pm »

Well the only way you can use creature tokens is if you create a vampire creature first, like this one.

Alright, cool. So how do I go about actually creating this vampire creature? what do I do with the raw text you just gave me? Do I need to change any other raw files in order to make it work?

Thank you for this. Should make Adventure mode a little more enjoyable >:D

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 02:11:42 pm »

You can copy the text to a file called creature_vampire_demontic.txt and it will have everything it needs for dwarf fortress to use the creature, it even keeps track of populations, when they should be hidden.  You could also add it to another creature file since multiple [OBJECT:CREATURES] work fine with each other.

To make it a civ you need to make or add to an entity_name.txt file
and you should be able to select a vampire outsider as a character!

RedReign

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 07:54:50 pm »

It seems to have worked... somewhat.

I did what you asked, making two files: one for the vampire creature, and other for the civ entity. It let me create a Vrykolakas outsider. However, I don't seem to have the same abilities as a vampire. For example, I can't feed off of the unconscious living. And I think I drown. I'd have to check that right now. Is there a creature token that makes a civ have the innate ability to suck blood?

Thanks for all your help on this. I am truly grateful.

RedReign

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 08:35:20 pm »

Hmm. Nevermind. I decided to be adventurous and look through the code you gave me.

You gave me something that was awfully close to what I wanted, but not quite IT, so I changed some things around. First, I removed the [EVIL] tag, and then I added [BLOODSUCKER]. It seems to have worked I'll go and change the description of the creature soon, right now it. I'll change some more things in the raw later on.

Thanks again for your insight.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 11:27:27 pm »

Oops my mistake, since the vrykolas is a demonic creature that vampires turn into I neglected to add most of the vampires tags to it!  I should add the tags to two of the castes anyways so the demonspawn children will have vampire powers like their parent.

All the tags that are needed are listed in the sample interaction for vampires.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 10:03:11 am »

Here's the problem now:

I can make a vampire outsider. The first time I created it, it made a night creature (or so it said in the character description) and the town I was in immediately tried to kill me. Even the chickens were after me.

I made a second character just to make sure, and it turned out to be an actual vampire (according to the character description). This time, the hamlet I spawned in was friendly to me.

What gives, guys?

What gives?

I'm not sure, but check for any [NIGHT_CREATURE_HUNTER] tags.  I think that could be what causes the civilized world to hate you.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 02:56:18 pm »

Here's the problem now:

What gives, guys?

What gives?

I'm not sure, but check for any [NIGHT_CREATURE_HUNTER] tags.  I think that could be what causes the civilized world to hate you.

Oh the vrykolakas creature has four castes, and I mistakenly put up a version with a ton of mistakes in it.  I'm sorry!

Here's something better suited
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 03:31:46 pm by Courtesy Arloban »

RedReign

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 08:17:41 pm »

Great, thanks! I figured it out. Removing the [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] tag seems to have fixed hostility as well, though you seem to have done that in your new raw file.