Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building the Undercity, Enôrdůstik Stëtnin  (Read 2093 times)

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
Building the Undercity, Enôrdůstik Stëtnin
« on: July 18, 2008, 04:18:40 pm »

Building the Undercity, Enôrdůstik Stëtnin, v1.

Code: [Select]
g+1 (rooms)     g (bar)         g-1 (mtg rm)
╔═╦═╦═╦═╦═╗     ╔═╦═══════╗     ╔═╦═══════╗
║>║θ║θ║θ║θ║     ║X║÷      ║     ║<║       ║
║ ║ ║ ║ ║ ║     ║ ║÷  ╥╤╤╥║     ║ ║       ║
║ ╚┼╩┼╩┼╩┼╣     ║ ║÷      ║     ║ ║       ║
║         ║     ┼     ╥╤╤╥║     ║         ║
╠═┼╦┼═╦┼╦┼╣     ╠┼╗٪      ║     ║         ║
║  ║  ║ ║ ║     ║ ║÷    ╥╤║     ║         ║
║θ ║ θ║θ║θ║     ║θ║÷      ║     ║         ║
╚══╩══╩═╩═╝     ╚═╩══┼┼═══╝     ╚═════════╝

The symbols are pretty much the same as in-game, so no notes on those unless you need them.  For clarity, all surfaces are smooth, though floors are not shown.

Overview
This is my version of an inn.  It can be used both on the surface and underground.  See the options, below.  If undergound, its intent is to be a free standing building with the caverns channeled out a few layers above it to give it the large chasm feel.

I'm going for aesthetics, as I play long-time fortresses (last one was 17 years and only stopped so I could take advantage of the new release, so pathing and hauling are not top priorities.

The general purpose is to have a realistic building both in looks and function.  Placing it next to the trade depot is favorable, as it would look like a small village springing up.  It'd be a perfect place for the starting dwarves to use.

As you enter the ground floor, patrons can grab a bit to eat or get a drink on their way to work.  Stockpiles hold 4 barrels of booze, a barrel of the season's edible plants, and a single stack of prepared food.

Down the hallway to the left is the proprietor's assigned room (cook, brewer, maybe planter (see below)), and the stairs leading up to the rooms and down to the meeting room.  A side door can be used for the proprietor to toss out trash or tend his garden (see below).

Going up the stairs takes you to the inn's rental rooms.  Six common rooms and two more comfortable rooms are available.  No extra furniture is included other than the beds.

Going down the stairs takes you to the meeting room.  This is where the locals can gather and discuss the day's events, smoke their pipes, and toss hand axes at each other.  The Captain is sure to put this place on the guard's patrol route, not only keeping them happy, but to keep the patrons in line as well.

Internal Options
Though not shown, I assume each room and some of the ground floor bar would have windows.  Fortifications in the sense of an open-air adobe type building, or glass windows for a more realistic look and feel.  My only concern was after the economy kicks in, not many could afford rooms with windows - though, that may be the point of an inn - various comings and goings.

At the start, the two larger rooms could be used as offices for the expedition leader (or manager/treasurer).

The basement meeting room is intended for a small 'meeting' zone - it looks cool when dwarves are actually hanging out in the inn.  We really need two types of meeting zone, a racial meeting zone, and a 'corral' type meeting zone that animals will go to - it looks funny when Urist brings his muskox in and crashes the party.

I thought of putting a still or kitchen down here for the proprietor, but with the current noise system, the tenants would never sleep.

External Options
Perhaps near a well.
A statue out front to commemorate something.
If on the surface, a small farm plot so the proprietor can grow veggies (I know he may not use that particular plot, but it would look like it was getting used).
The overall construction is assumed to be stone if underground, but with the open-air cavern approach, could easily mimic an above-ground building, ie making the foundation and ground floor out of stone, and making the top level out of wood.

---

Thanks for looking.  Feel free to discuss and adapt as you see fit.  I plan on making several stock buildings that I'll be using in my forts, and I'll continue to post them for review and comment.

edit - I forgot the up stairs for the meeting rm, note on starting dwarves, note on use of large rms, note about smoothing, name change to proper dwarf format, clarify room w/ window, random spelling.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 07:32:55 pm by Dwarfu »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Building the Undercity, The Arostral Inn
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 04:38:20 pm »

I like this. I'll use it in my fortress. It will be great when we can assign rooms as inns for travelers.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 06:32:36 pm »

Where'd you get those wall symbols from?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 06:52:04 pm »

The small rooms should be fairly affordable during the economy (small, low in amenities).  If you want to get cheaper, you can make larger rooms with multiple beds and do a youth hostel/flophouse type of inn.  (Overlap the bedrooms or make each bedroom only a bed wide.)

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 07:06:24 pm »

..and do a youth hostel/flophouse type of inn.

That's a good idea - have a common 'loft room' at g+2 where its just beds and let the vagrants just rent a bed - no real walled room.  Higher quality patrons can get the rooms.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 07:07:58 pm »

Where'd you get those wall symbols from?

Just open up the character map on your computer, choose a fixed-width font such as courier new, and do all your layout in notepad because it will show better (if you do it in the message body, its hard to get the spacing correct).  Then just cut & paste.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
Re: Building the Undercity, Enôrdůstik Stëtnin
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 01:19:31 pm »

Ancient bump for celebration for parts that have been implemented and parts that are scheduled...

Discuss.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Building the Undercity, Enôrdůstik Stëtnin
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 07:08:34 pm »

Well, there's no economy now, but, um...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.