Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Better Royalty  (Read 1533 times)

Squidpalace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Better Royalty
« on: May 29, 2012, 10:45:59 am »

Hi guys, this isn't a part of the forum I visit regularly, being generally happy with vanilla. So forgive me if I didn't search well enough, but I was wondering if anybody had made, or could make, a mod that added proper royal succession to DF. I don't even need it to be more complex than me assigning an heir, and them becoming the next ruler. I think this kind of request isn't beyond the scope of modding, given the impressive examples of total conversions, so I was hoping somebody could provide a solution or point me to an existing work. Thanks so much.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
Re: Better Royalty
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 12:45:26 pm »

I haven't tested this, but I would recommend that you open entity_default and for dwarves create a new title of nobility something like this:

[POSITION:ROYAL_HEIR]
      [NAME:royal heir:royal heirs]
      [SITE]
      [NUMBER:1]
      [APPOINTED_BY:MONARCH]
      [PRECEDENCE:30]
      [PUNISHMENT_EXEMPTION]
      [FLASHES]
      [DO_NOT_CULL]
      [COLOR:5:0:1]
      [ACCOUNT_EXEMPT]
      [DUTY_BOUND]
      [DEMAND_MAX:1]

Alter [POSITION:MONARCH] to remove the tag:
      [SUCCESSION:BY_HEIR]

and add the tag:

[SUCCESSION:BY_POSITION:ROYAL_HEIR]

I believe that upon monarch arrival, this will permit you to appoint a royal heir noble who will automatically succeed the king/queen upon death. I haven't tested it- let me know if it works.

A simpler option that does not require creating a new noble would just be to have the otherwise-useless champion noble be the heir by substituting the [SUCCESSION:BY_POSITION:CHAMPION] tag to the monarch.

Squidpalace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 10:38:32 pm »

That looks great, thanks so much for whipping that together. Will try as soon as I have a moment.

Saraias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 04:05:07 pm »

So, I have a very related question here. I just had my first fortress progress to the point of the king's arrival, and - as seems to happen often for folks - the monarch turns out to be a vampire king who's slaughtered his way through history. His youngest child died about 200 years ago, no heir there. I'd like to end his unholy reign and restore a proper dwarven dynasty.

I've gone into entity_default (within data/save/region1/raw/objects, not in the main raw) and changed the monarch succession to [SUCCESSION:BY_POSITION:DUKE] (and also tried CHAMPION), but after entrapping the king into feeding in front of a host of witnesses, and his long-overdue execution by my hammerer. . . no succession.

Is this a case where editing the file after world-gen doesn't do any good, or are there further steps I should have taken?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 04:10:45 pm »

Did you edit the "saves" raw files?

Saraias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 04:41:20 pm »

Yup, I edited in the "save" raws for region1 only. Thanks for replying, and any insight you may have.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 05:08:12 pm »

Don't you need to regen after most of the entity changes?
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 05:59:33 pm »

I think only to positions since some of their roles are needed to be consistant in Worldgen. But things like ACTIVE_SEASON and I think PROGRESS_TRIGGERS can be too. but once a trigger is fired there is nothing from stopping them (if goblins ambush, chaning their triggers to higher numbers won't make them go away)