Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave-in trap produced magma!  (Read 493 times)

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
Cave-in trap produced magma!
« on: June 02, 2012, 10:17:56 am »

Ok, so I had this simple cave-in trap set up, a fire clay floor (it was the closest at that time) kept hanging by a support. It was in a trench, along with upright spike traps. These were all linked to a single pressure plate. So, when the next siege came, a troop of trolls tried to take the trench path (had a nice door as a bait there). The first one stepped on the plate, ran onward a second, and then the fire clay floor came crashing down on the rest of his pack. I laughed maniacally (my first "complex" trap) and then looked at the combat log. I was suprised by the fact that one of them had "troll has been caught in a cloud of boiling magma". There was no magma involved in the trap, and I hadn't even found any. Is this normal wíth all cave ins, or a by-product of fire clay?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cave-in trap produced magma!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 10:23:09 am »

It's just a bug.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 10:23:43 am »

Definately a bug of some kind, awesome one at that.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 10:28:05 am »

Yeah, propably it was :D. Altough, could the strong pressure caused by the narrow pathway heat the sandy clay dust into a high temperature?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 10:32:38 am »

You could set something like this up to happen for real, if you wanted it that badly.  See magma piston.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 10:45:17 am »

Hooray! Goblin BBQ party!