Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pumped water says Water [7/7], but also says "a dusting of mud." Stangent water?  (Read 7353 times)

Octopod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Basically the title. I tried out pumps the first time by making a small 3x3 hole covered with placed stone floors, walls, and pumped some of the channeled river water into it. The water in the hole says Water [7/7], and it also says "a dusting of mud" so does that mean my water is already stangent? Is the whole project ruined?

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, though if you only have a 1 z-level well it'll be muddy water. It calls it stagnant water if it is.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, though if you only have a 1 z-level well it'll be muddy water. It calls it stagnant water if it is.

What he said.  Example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Octopod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So water with "a dusting of mud" isn't the same as stagnant water?

vidboi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So water with "a dusting of mud" isn't the same as stagnant water?

No, wherever water flows it'll leave some mud behind; it's how you irrigate farms on rock surfaces. The water itself is perfectly clean however.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

As far as I know dustings of mud do not cause problems with wells. If there is a "pile of mud" beneath the water, you get mud in the buckets. Piles of mud only appear in cavern lakes, as far as I know, so if your well and water storage has been entirely dug out, you should be fine.

Also its only the tile beneath the well that determines whether the bucket get full of mud. This means if you dig the well shaft down a pillar that is directly adjacent to the lake, you will get the lake water in the bucket without any mud.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In my experience you can also avoid the mud problem by having a reservoir deep enough (3 z-levels, more if you like) that there is always a non-muddy 7/7 full tile of water below the well.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dusting of mud causes no problems at all. Every time a dry tile is wetted, it gets muddier (the tile needs to dry out by evaporation, being pumped dry doesn't count). After "a dusting of mud" it becomes "a small pile of mud", after being dried and re-wetted a lot more times (about 10 times), it becomes "a pile of mud" - however even when it's labelled as a "a pile of mud" it still doesn't cause water drawn from it to become laced with mud. I speculate that if it was muddied a bunch more times, it would start causing "water laced with mud" effect. (clearly there is an internal value for the muddiness of a tile - and the muddiness level where it starts contaminating water is higher than the level where it starts being labelled "a pile of mud")
Cavern tiles are naturally extremely muddy, so a cavern lake, or an artificial pond built on cavern floor, will cause the "water laced with mud" effect. Outside of caverns however, it's almost impossible to get a tile muddy enough to contaminate water. Both because if a tile is permanently wet, it'll never get muddier than "a dusting of mud", and it needs to dry out completely and be rewetted a whole lot of times, before it starts contaminating water. So even if a well acccidently runs dry half a dozen times, it still wont be a problem.

Stagnation is caused by drawing water from murky ponds, and by refuse (ie dead bodies) falling into the water. It's a completely separate phenomena to water laced with mud.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online

This is not true.  I never have more than one z-level under my well.  The rock floor under the well has a dusting of mud.  The water is just Water[7].  The water in the bucket is not muddy water, nor stagnant.  The Dwarves are perfectly happy with it.

This is in contrast with wells made during the time of the infectious stagnancy bug.  Those cisterns did come to contain stagnant water, and the Dwarves would not drink it.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.