Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are zombie outbreaks a thing?  (Read 1542 times)

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
Are zombie outbreaks a thing?
« on: May 31, 2012, 03:19:55 pm »

So I have a relatively new adventurer who just snuck all the way north to a town that was a couple day's travel away.  As I was approaching the place, the framerate steadily dropped to something like one frame every two seconds.  Now, I'm used to running 200-dorf fortresses at 80 FPS on this machine, so if the framerate is that low, I know something has gone seriously wrong with the world, like the floor of the magma sea being mostly absent or something.  Went to fast travel mode and then popped out in the town's market, and got spammed by several screens full of combat announcements.  After the confusion wore off, I realized that half the people in the marketplace were zombies, and there was a giant battle royale taking place.

My adventurer is a custom race that can vanish from sight every so often, so I did that and ran around trying to help the living fend off the dead.  There ended up being something like ten survivors out of what must have been at least 50 combatants.  I couldn't find anything out about why this had happened, though there was a necromancer tower along the road about a day's travel to the south, so I suspected one of them might have made himself lord of the town.  I stormed the castle, only to find that everything in there was Perfectly Normal.  Just an axeman and a lord sitting around.  Axeman asked me to take him on a perilous adventure, and while I wanted to ask him if he was aware that the End of Days was in progress just outside, I settled for merely taking him with me.

Thing is, I have no idea what is going on here or if there's anything permanent I can do about it.  How does one tell what's happening in cases like this?  I didn't notice any evil clouds or weather, or any sign that the town is in an evil biome.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are zombie outbreaks a thing?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 03:23:52 pm »

Sounds like the necromancer happened.  Zombies can be a giant pain in the ass to deal with because as long as the necromancer, biome, or weather effect that created them is still around, they can just be raised again after they're killed.  And of course if they kill anything else, they've just recruited it to their side as soon as the raise effect happens again.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 03:32:42 pm »

There's also (reportedly) a bug where non-historic figures don't die permanently in adventure mode, so getting far enough away from the town and coming back may cause a repeat of the incident.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 03:56:45 pm »

I retired in the town (sure it's an undead-infested hellhole, but it's got charm, ya know?) to check the legends.  No record of any necromancers, sieges, or anything unusual.  Just road construction, a long series of duels, and a couple of criminal organizations setting up shop in the crypts and dungeons. 
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 09:06:33 pm »

80FPS? with 200 Dwarfs? What computer are you using? Im at like 40 with 140 dwarfs on my computer, and its quite good. Are you actuly worried about 80FPS? Bro, your better off then most.

On-topic; There are no zombie "outbreaks", however it is possible for a Necromancer to enter your fort in sneak mode (you cant see him unless a dwarf spots him) and get into your refuse pile or local wildlife.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 09:21:33 pm »

Whats with your computers guys? I run 200 at 180 dwarves.

Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 10:09:14 pm »

A little jizz came out.

Its probobly because i have a 64-bit machine and DF is only for 32-bit. But really..... 200FPS? At almost 200 Dwarfs!? That is INSANE.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 10:56:24 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 01:15:26 am »

80FPS? with 200 Dwarfs? What computer are you using? Im at like 40 with 140 dwarfs on my computer, and its quite good. Are you actuly worried about 80FPS? Bro, your better off then most.

On-topic; There are no zombie "outbreaks", however it is possible for a Necromancer to enter your fort in sneak mode (you cant see him unless a dwarf spots him) and get into your refuse pile or local wildlife.

I think you misread my post.  Wasn't worried about 80 FPS, I was saying that's normal so it would be clear how far from normal 0.5 FPS is.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 04:18:45 am »

Its probobly because i have a 64-bit machine and DF is only for 32-bit.

No that makes no difference. You probably just don't have a good pc. Maybe you even have a laptop.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 01:56:43 pm »

Did you begin playing right after worldgen? You might have witnessed one of those rare occurrences of a war in progress when worldgen ended. I remember reading something like this a long time ago, but between two civilizations, not an attack of the undead.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 06:04:23 pm »

Did you begin playing right after worldgen? You might have witnessed one of those rare occurrences of a war in progress when worldgen ended. I remember reading something like this a long time ago, but between two civilizations, not an attack of the undead.
That would be so cool
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 07:09:10 pm »

That's not enough information for making such a statement.
1) What's CPU model and specs?
2) What RAM model and amount of RAM?
3) What size is your embark?  1x1  or  12X12?
4) What mods or personal game hacks are you using? (these can make big differences)