Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make a dwarf live and work in a separate little space?  (Read 974 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I have a "quarry" set up a ways off from my settlement, and I need to have a dwarf living in that area to load up the minecart with stone. If I just use any dwarf it takes him a long time to go from the dining hall in my main settlement to where he needs to load up the minecart all the time. So I thought why not make a little hut for him to live and work just in that area.

How would I go about doing this? I know I can use burrows, but never really used them for more than having everyone gather into one area of a fort in case of an attack.
And the other question is how can I have a dedicated stockpile of food and booze just for him? I've experimented with stockpiles like these before, and usually they end up containing inedible things or empty booze barrels instead of actual food and booze.
And will the dwarf leave his burrow to go eat and drink?

Thanks for any advice!
Feeling down? Click Here!

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to make a dwarf live and work in a separate little space?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 08:55:02 pm »

Make a burrow with "w", and assign the dwarf to that burrow with "c".

Make two custom stockpiles for food in the burrow. "p" then "t", then enable "food" and disable everything else. For the booze stockpile, only allow food of type "Drink (Plant)" and add "Drink (Animal)" if you want him drinking mead.

For the food stockpile, only allow "Prepared Food", which is "u" on the custom stockpile setup screen.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 07:52:45 am »

So, will he haul his own food and booze to those stockpiles, or will other dwarves have to do it for him?

Also, more importantly, how are jobs assigned to dwarves? Is it just the closest available dwarf? Or do dwarfs that are set for a burrow that covers the job get priority?

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 10:25:07 am »

He will only take jobs in his burrow.  Ship food to him in a minecart and his only job can be to send the stone to you in his minecart.  It'd probably be more efficient to have more than one dwarf to ship the stone since you already have a food stockpile and a minecart sending supplies to it.
I like sushi.

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 10:27:15 am »

Best to get other dwarves fill the stockpiles for him.  Set them to take from your main stockpiles (on the 'q' screen) and they'll do this.

If you've got a dwarf in a burrow and he has hauling enabled, be prepared to get lots of "Dwarf cancels Store Item: Item inaccessible" log spam as he repeatedly tries to put something from outside the burrow into the stockpile inside the burrow and then realises he's not allowed to go there.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 07:49:03 pm »

Make a burrow with "w", and assign the dwarf to that burrow with "c".

Make two custom stockpiles for food in the burrow. "p" then "t", then enable "food" and disable everything else. For the booze stockpile, only allow food of type "Drink (Plant)" and add "Drink (Animal)" if you want him drinking mead.

For the food stockpile, only allow "Prepared Food", which is "u" on the custom stockpile setup screen.

I did that, and I ran into the same problem I pointed out above. The two stockpiles that I put for him now contain empty barrels. I assume this is happening because the dwarves ate and drank the contents of those barrels, but now why aren't they hauling those barrels away, or replacing them with barrels that contain food and booze?

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 04:31:44 am »

You could also dump drinks and food in his burrow, specifically on the food stockpile there. Just make sure you claim them again after they've been dumped.
(a>b) ? false : true

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 02:21:42 pm »

The two stockpiles that I put for him now contain empty barrels. I assume this is happening because the dwarves ate and drank the contents of those barrels, but now why aren't they hauling those barrels away, or replacing them with barrels that contain food and booze?

Do you have some empty furniture stockpile for them to take these barrels to? If not, they'll leave them there until they need them for something else.
Also note that his food and booze storage should have at least two squares (as one of the squares will often be stocked with an empty barrel)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 02:44:19 pm »

Ah, yes, that could have been the problem. I don't really have anywhere for those barrels to be stored, like you say.
Hm, I'll try that. Thanks! :D