Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal babies assigned to same pasture as the parent  (Read 2765 times)

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal babies assigned to same pasture as the parent
« on: February 29, 2012, 11:13:42 pm »

I tend to do a lot of micromanaging. Every so often I have to revisit the pasture and assign all the new baby animals to the same pen as their parent. It might be easier if this were automatic. You would only have to manage overcrowding after a while.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Animal babies assigned to same pasture as the parent
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 07:39:16 pm »

I agree, actually thought of suggesting this myself earlier. It gets annoying, constantly having to check if there is any new animals born that slipped my notice, and then having to re assign them to a pasture. It would be easier if this were automated, so that newborns were automatically assigned to that same pasture.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 11:00:08 pm »

Very dangerous suggestion.  What happens if there's only enough grazing land for the parent? They'll all kill each other.

Not that there aren't big problems from not doing it, too.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 03:38:42 am »

You would need to manage overcrowding. Not micromanage assigning newborns. It seems like a good trade off.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 05:41:05 am »

You would need to manage overcrowding. Not micromanage assigning newborns. It seems like a good trade off.
I agree.
It gets kind of tedious having to try and catch every "<Animal> has given birth to <Baby Animal>(s)" and "<Bird>s have hatched" notice. Not to mention having to assign all of the umpty-eleven poults to pasture individually. THis also applies somewhat to the critters that the migrants drag in.

Perhaps there should be an "auto pasture animals" option akin to the "auto loom thread" etc.? Could even differentiate between animal type or species.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Kie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 07:08:35 pm »

Very dangerous suggestion.  What happens if there's only enough grazing land for the parent? They'll all kill each other.

Not that there aren't big problems from not doing it, too.

Make it activated by the player. Like designating if a hole is a pit or a pond.
Vae Victis

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 10:03:31 pm »

I'd prefer the babies be in the pasture too to keep them from going all over the fort.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 10:22:14 pm »

It's a good default, especially for grazing animals. Otherwise the grazer could starve in you meeting hall, which has no realistic analog. In many cases you would still want to micromanage, but this would reduce those times for some people.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 11:34:32 am »

Or make the baby follow the parent around, like dogs follow the dwarf who trained it around.

On a related note:

FEED TROUGHS!!!

Allow the ability to turn certain plants (such as pig tails, cave wheat, quarry bushes, ect) into "animal feed" (probably at the farmers workshop) which then gets put into built feed troughs -- make it an automatic job, like tanning leather, so dwarves automatically refill it's emptied.  The animals can then 'graze' from the feed trough.  That would make it quite a bit easier to keep animals, especially before you discover a cavern and moss starts growing.  Plus, we could finally keep elephants and the other animals that can't feed themselves.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 06:11:30 pm »

This is cool, the suggestion has become reality.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 09:29:02 pm »

On a related note:

FEED TROUGHS!!!

Allow the ability to turn certain plants (such as pig tails, cave wheat, quarry bushes, ect) into "animal feed" (probably at the farmers workshop) which then gets put into built feed troughs -- make it an automatic job, like tanning leather, so dwarves automatically refill it's emptied.  The animals can then 'graze' from the feed trough.  That would make it quite a bit easier to keep animals, especially before you discover a cavern and moss starts growing.  Plus, we could finally keep elephants and the other animals that can't feed themselves.

This is a very good idea.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις