Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Basic RAW bugfixes  (Read 516 times)

theothersteve7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Basic RAW bugfixes
« on: May 30, 2012, 01:29:07 pm »

I'd like to keep my game as vanilla as possible while still fixing stupid and obvious bugs.  Could someone help or direct me to the appropriate place?  Offhand, I'd like kobolds to survive worldgen and whips to be worse against armor than spears.  I'm probably forgetting a few.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Basic RAW bugfixes
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 02:47:25 pm »

Just look inside the stickied Community Mod and utilities list, that's what it's there for.

This seems to be what you're looking for.

theothersteve7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 03:16:21 pm »

I was looking for basic raw fixes; the mod you linked is a bit more extensive.  It's nice, though.  I'll give it a look.

*EDIT*
I lied.  That's perfect.  I hadn't realized that you could do all that with just the raws.  I also hadn't realized that raw-only mods were considered mods; hadn't looked into them.  Just a terminology misunderstanding.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 03:23:44 pm by theothersteve7 »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 03:50:33 pm »

It does confuse new people who are used to things like minecraft mods that are these crazy incomprehensible things.

Just FYI, but here we tend to use the term "mod" to refer to raw changes. This is 90% of all stuff out there as unlike with many moldable programs Toady keeps what we can actually do rather limited. In exchange for that he does allow a large degree of freedom within what we can do, namely the ability to modify 90-100% of all "content" in the game (creatures, weapons, civilizations, reactions, poisons, food, plants, etc.). When things modify the overall game itself such as with DFHack or read the data of the game such as Dwarf Therapist then we tend to call those "utilities" instead of mods. They can do just about anything without limits, but have the drawback of being much more difficult to create, require programming and hex editing knowledge to maintain, and usually have a much longer turnaround time before they are updated when a new version comes out (several days to several weeks, where most "mods" can be tweaked to fit new updates within a time period of a couple of minutes to a couple of hours, depending on the changes).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.