Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MMOs and of the sort to play with girlfriend?  (Read 3449 times)

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
MMOs and of the sort to play with girlfriend?
« on: June 02, 2012, 02:32:09 am »

I'm very fortunate to be blessed with a girlfriend that absolutely adores combat/combat-oriented games, and I'm hoping to introduce her to the wonderful world that is computer gaming. She's always been a console gamer, anything from Mortal Kombat to CoD, I even lent her my copy of Skyrim. She however, is a computer gaming virgin. She types fast and all that, but her keystrokes in fast paced games are a little sluggish and I'm hoping to change that. I suggested she try League of Legends, but she said she'd much rather transition via a more "friendlier" game, whatever that meant. She sunk her teeth into "Vindictus," an instanced-based action MMO. Problem?

She's getting a little bored of it. It's nice and all, but with the amount of instances that game has, you hardly do anything but run dungeons time and time again. I don't want to get committed into a pay to play game or anything like that, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out by giving me some suggestions. I'm looking to find an MMO that has action-elements, with little if any, point and click combat. She really dislikes the monotony of point and click. So, how about it fellow Bayers? Would you guys happen to know an MMO packed with action (without the point and click), while still containing the social elements of a traditional MMO? Something we can enjoy and laugh(or scream) at together. Times like these make me wish for a survival mmo akin to Left 4 Dead :x.

Oh, and she doesn't like anything futuristic or sci-fi. Picky? Yes. But she's definitely a keeper. Thanks guys!

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
Re: MMOs and of the sort to play with girlfriend?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 02:44:47 am »

World of Tanks my friend.

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 02:45:38 am »

Check out dungeon fighter online. It's basically a side scrolling brawler, ala streets of rage or final fight from way back when. As a note however, it uses P2P, so playing with other people, unless they're nearby, may be a bit of hassle. So you and her playing, presumably from the same house or neighborhood should be fine, random people from who knows where, a little more shakey.

If she's okay with soloing from time to time, it is an excellent game, and in my opinion quite a bit better then Vindictus.

As a note, it still basically consists of running dungeons repetedly, but I'd still give it a shot. It's a lot more fast and furious then Vindictus.

Also if you're in the UK, there are no servers for it, but I'm pretty sure vindictus had that problem too, so you're probably fine.

EDIT: Also, the game is fairly slow in the beginning, and ramps up over time, so it should be pretty nice for transitioning to fast paced computer games. It gets pretty nuts later on if you play something based off combo-ing and the like, rather then tossing high damage skills around. Skills can also be triggered via button inputs like fighter games (like the monk has a skill that uses the hadoken motion, then Z), so yeah, pretty nice. I'd plug a controller in if you can, but it's fairly serviceable on a keyboard.

EDIT2: It also appears to be having some minor lag issues right now, but they'll prolly be gone by tomorrow. Nothing too terribly disruptive as far as I'm aware, but keep it in mind if you're trying it right now.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 02:59:11 am by Seriyu »

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 03:22:21 am »

What about Guild Wars 2? Surely she will dig into the character customisation part of it, lol.

And yeah, a girlfriend who is also a gamer makes excellent life partner.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 04:09:55 am »

If you're alright playing a pay-to-play game Tera online is very action oriented and incredibly fun to play. It is literally the only MMO I could stand to play for more than a week in over 10 years- exciting combat, unique class playstyles and awesome boss fights. I think it should actually be reasonably easy to learn... You start off with a couple basic attacks to get a feel for the combat and gradually learn new skills to add to the mix. Melee classes in particular have fewer abilities to learn which makes them very user friendly.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 04:31:03 am »

World of Tanks my friend.

This. Slower-paced third-person-shooter/first-person-shooter based around WW2 tanks. It has RPG elements of upgrading and researching your tank/buying modules with cash you earn fighting. 2 players can team up for free, 3 will need a premium account.

Its free, so give it a go before you show her it. Might not be up your alley, but everyone I have showed it to has loved it. My only concern is its not really the type of "social MMO" you are describing. Its an MMO in the same way CoD would be :P

Its waaay more friendly then LoL/Mobas as long as you dont start shooting teammates. Combat mechanics are of the "easy to learn, difficult to master" sort. We have a topic for it over here that you can ask questions in if need be.

www.worldoftanks.com - Website

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=70546.0 - B12 Topic

It does have some issues with grindyness, though, especially if you dont like to spend cash on F2P games. You can get a good 75% of the way up the tech tree before the grind gets too bad though, and a lot of people get the best tanks without spending a cent.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 04:42:17 am by Rex_Nex »

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 06:34:51 am »

Yeah World of Tanks isn't really an MMO from what I can remember. Your best bets are going to be either TERA or GW2. GW2 is the far far better game of the two. TERA has marginally better combat, but every other aspect of the game is generic MMO design from 10 years ago. GW2 isn't out yet but it's got no subscription and some really innovative design choices. Watch some videos on youtube or something of both of them and see what you think.

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 08:58:43 pm »

Interesting titles you guys have suggested :]. Thank you! Looking through trailers and gameplay videos, I can see that Dungeon Fighter is obviously the most simplistic one. It's 2D in nature and very similar to the old beat-em-up games for the SNES. I might get her to play that and hopefully that'll edge her on to increasingly more complicated games.

I'll look further into the other suggested titles. I'm not sure how I feel about paying a subscription for Tera, albeit it's very very appealing mechanics. Maybe if they offered a trial, I'll see how she likes it and go from there. Same goes for World of Tanks. She's a little peculiar. She likes reading little intricate facts about horrible, horrible fascets of events throughout history, with WW2 being one of them. Not sure how she'll take to WoT though, but I'll definitely suggest it to her.

I've already pre-ordered Guild Wars 2 for myself, but as for my girlfriend, I'm not sure how she'll like it at all. The Guild Wars series has so much to offer and I'm unsure whether that would throw her off or not. I'll definitely let her try it out though. My god, if she came to love GW2, I'd marry her instantly.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 12:32:16 pm »

Tera Online just released a "demo" apparently. since they're calling it a demo and not a free trial, I'm not exactly sure what it is and don't have time to check it out at the moment.
http://tera.enmasse.com/demo#