Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non-murderous night creatures  (Read 689 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Non-murderous night creatures
« on: November 15, 2012, 03:00:31 pm »

There was a mention in the Future of the Fortress thread recently that goblins aren't going to have shops. My mind instantly made the leap to Goblin Market, a poem by Christina Rossetti, in which goblins are depicted as weird people who accost passers-by in the forest and sell them strange fruit (that are really a metaphor for sex). You know, the Fair Folk. DF doesn't really have anything like that now, which I think is a pity. There should be creatures in the dark corners of earth you can negotiate with. In fairy tales, even the ones that ultimately plan to eat you will stop to talk first, and it usually isn't too hard to outwit them.

I think this role can quite adequately be filled by existing critters. The bogeymen we have now, as well as those random-generated night trolls could occasionally not attack adventurers, and rather just engage in some banter and trading. Even goblins would work, especially "wild" goblins who don't have a demon king ruling over them. "That's a nice sword. Will you trade it for this baby?"

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non-murderous night creatures
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 04:50:26 pm »

I think the word "night creature" would be inappropriate here. If you're wanting to add the guid nichtbours in some capacity you'd see them as much in the daylight as you would at night. You could have randomly generated trolls (not night trolls) who would want to deal with you in some way for their own personal gain.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Non-murderous night creatures
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 06:37:56 pm »

I think the word "night creature" would be inappropriate here. If you're wanting to add the guid nichtbours in some capacity you'd see them as much in the daylight as you would at night. You could have randomly generated trolls (not night trolls) who would want to deal with you in some way for their own personal gain.
Agreed.
The idea is good but the terminology needs work.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.