Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Idea for a mod from a mod noob DWARVEN ARSENAL  (Read 1521 times)

Joshua the Samurai

• Bay Watcher
  • I am the Samurai! FEAR ME!
    • View Profile
Idea for a mod from a mod noob DWARVEN ARSENAL
« on: May 28, 2012, 11:32:33 am »

Heya folks, your friendly neighborhood samurai here with a mod idea I'd like to impolitic in my spare time, or team up with another modder if one may be interested.  Some features of proposed mod: Scads of new weapons, out of any material

Sure th main dorfy weapons are keen, but how about adding billhooks, crow's beaks, bladed chains, katanas, Bowie knives, gadentags, and more And making metal weapons out of any kind of metal? Lead war hammer anyone?  What about hand weapons made from stone, bone and wood? Stone clubs, bone knives wooden boomerangs or throwing stick made at a craftsman's workshop.
   Just for kicks i'd like to be able to make dwarves able to weild anything, Like chairs, coffins, buckets or sacks.  Would these Changes be effective? Not always, but they will be fun to wath and experiment with.
     So the question is, what would I need to ed
it to make this work? I'm a fast learner so hit me with the truth.  An if you'd like to lend a hand, that'd be great.

I am the Samurai, Fear me!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for a mod from a mod noob DWARVEN ARSENAL
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 11:44:41 am »

Theres a couple of mods around that already do this (masterwork and some other big uns) weapon wise anyways, im not too sure about weildable chairs.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 11:45:03 am »

Weapons are probably the easiest things in the game to mod, thankfully.

These tokens are all you need.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 11:45:49 am »

Stone weapons can be as simple as adding [CAN_STONE] to all Weapons in "item_weapon.txt"

making weapons from any metal is as easy as adding [ITEMS_WEAPON][ITEMS_WEAPON_RANGED][ITEMS_AMMO] to every metal that lacks it

wooden and bone weapons are as easy as adding a non exsistant ammo type "lets call it NULL" and adding this to every bone/wood desired weapon [RANGED:THROW:NULL] (the skill can be anything, since NULL is impossible to get no worries on people picking it up and using it) since the weapon now counts as a ranged weapon you can make wood and bone verisons at the bowersshop

as with buckets and all that jazz, custom weapons, with reactions that take the item and turn it into its weapon form.

Joshua the Samurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 12:00:39 pm »

Hey thanks forthe in to guys!

I'm Aware of masterwork and the like, most mods add a good number of weapons but my idea is for a weapon system that allows to embark somahere with limited metals safely, or just experiment with weir combos, like. Sword made of sandstone lol.
      Wouldn't the stone tAg mean that the Arlin could only be made of incision? Is there a tag in nirmal stone to make them sharp?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 12:08:40 pm »

[MAX_EDGE:20000] on a stone makes it suitable [CAN_STONE] material. you can goto the STONE_TEMPLATE and just make every stone's edge default the that (material_template_standard.txt or some such like that)

Joshua the Samurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 12:27:59 pm »

Awesome!  I can't wait to fend off goblins with saltpeter throwing axes lol brings up an interesting point as well, with a throwing axe, should I just make one axe that the dwarf hold an a second kind of axe that functions as throwing axes? Or is there a way to make just an ammo Urist McCherokee can use without a weapon that throws it?
    Also, what of a weapon made of leather, specifically a sling that throws stones made of leather or cloth?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 12:31:00 pm »

Leather and cloth will not be stockpiled properly as weapons/ammo

also:
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_THROW_AXE_BATTLE]
[NAME:battle axe(t):battle axes(t)]
[ADJECTIVE:throwing axes and]
[SIZE:900]
[SKILL:AXE]
[RANGED:THROW:AXE]
[SHOOT_FORCE:500]
[SHOOT_MAXVEL:1000]
[TWO_HANDED:37500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:32500]
[CAN_STONE]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]
[ATTACK:EDGE:40000:6000:hack:hacks:battle axe:1250]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:40000:6000:slap:slaps:battle axe flat:1250]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:100:1000:strike:strikes:battle axe pommel:1000]

and

[ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_AXES]
[NAME:throwing axe:throwing axes]
[CLASS:AXE]
[SIZE:600]
[ATTACK:EDGE:20000:4000:slice:slices:NO_SUB:1000]

I'm willing to share some to most things from Regeneration, which means I beat you to the punchline. :P

I also have slings, and I think Kobold Camp does too.

If your wondering about the "(t)" at the end of the name, it's so you can tell that it is not a normal battle axe in the forge/craftshop but when ingame it will be called "throwing axes and <metal> battle axe(t)"
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 12:33:00 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Joshua the Samurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 12:51:06 pm »

Lol from the fAct their's a my little pony mod I should realize most things in df have already been done in the dwarf fortress world. I appreciate the help though! I'm mainly making this mod for my own twisted curiosity (I really wanna see dwarves fighting a FB with switchblades, cricket bats chainsaws and tossing spears with atlatls) so with the knowledge I have I'll get started.  I'll keep. All up to date I this tread