Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: EMOTIONALITY trait  (Read 1297 times)

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
EMOTIONALITY trait
« on: May 27, 2012, 01:45:14 pm »

What this trait changes? Which value is good - high or low? I really don't get it:) And searching forum gives nothing - many people asked and nobody ever answered that..a ctually it was always pretty much ignored:(

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: EMOTIONALITY trait
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 01:55:19 pm »

I've never seen any of your other questions. But I see this one. It's all common sense, if you know know what a personality attibute is like EMPATHY (just an example) google and find it's meaning the base numbers on that.
ANGER at high levels means they get angry alot (good? bad?) and VARNBILITY high makes the creature easier to get depressed (Bad i'd say)

it all depends on the what emotion your boosting

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 11:40:21 pm »

I ask this for the first time:) I meant there is no answer on the forum for that question.

So if a dwarf is highly emotional and doesn't care about everything and have low anger and vulnerbility then this will boost his happiness. But if his frieend dies - then boom! Tantrum spiral:) It just makes bigger difference on all happiness changes?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 11:43:24 pm »

yup basically, altho "Doesn't Care about anything anymore" is basically a dwarf that has seen so much trama/loss/death that the dwarf has become basically emotionless.

But yes higher emotion and other things affect how the creature handles issues and how often becomes unhappy

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 05:06:07 am »

So should i mod (i am a cheaty bastard ;) ) dwarves to be more emotional or just keep them in lowest level. Which will give me most benefits with least problems. I can test it with dfhack luascripts of course but i don't have enough time to play lest test it so i actually hoped for an answer on the forum:)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 11:31:08 am »

As a general rule, personality traits can be either good or bad depending on the situation.  For example, angry dwarfs are more likely to throw go berserk if they get upset, but they are also more likely to get the 'enraged' combat bonus while fighting.

There isn't a lot of available information on the exact effect of most personality traits, because of the complexity of the system.  If you find something conclusive, post it!

Koronii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 06:28:21 pm »

I believe emotionality affects how strongly a dwarf's experiences will effect their mood. High emotionality making them more sensitive, low making them more numb.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 06:47:00 pm »

Here's the wiki article on the subject matter.

LINK

Overall though, emotions play very little effect on your daily dwarve's lives. Most often they influence grudges, but even then that seldom happens. Hope that helps!  :D

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 01:58:23 am »

If your asking what you should do instead of what you can do though, then it's completely up to you. If you want to play with dull, emotionless, extremely stable dwarves then go right ahead and edit it to be that way. If you want to play with crazy, bi-polar, insane dwarves then edit the game to be that way. That's the whole point of modding. We try not to ever tell people what they should do over here, we just try to tell people what they can do.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 03:37:03 am »

So to sum up.....Basically.... nobody exactly knows what this trait really does:) It seems like with high emotionality dwarfs will tend to go berserk more often (or enrage in battle) but also they will be much more happy from good things around them. So with HARDENED at maximum it will be a good thing for dwarf.... without HARDENED any dead friend is going to cause huge tantrum spiral even if everything was good just a second before.

Logic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 12:17:47 pm »

No, we know what it does. It causes dwarves to have larger/smaller reactions to things, depending on how high the EMOTIONALITY trait is.