Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Painting storm-trooper Armour - Update: DONE!  (Read 4252 times)

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Painting storm-trooper Armour - Update: DONE!
« on: May 29, 2012, 06:31:49 pm »

Edit: Just about every image site i'm trying is freezing up on me. I therefore direct you to my tumblr, where I have taken the project for the time being. Please, someone, tell me if i'm not allowed to post links, i'll remove it when I see it if i'm not allowed.

http://stormtroopersjustwannahavefun.tumblr.com/

Edit: IT IS DONE.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The entire journey is on my tumblr, but i'll shove an image here to show you guys. I have more photo's of the completed suit in there, plus the entire making of. Enjoy
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 06:50:44 am by dogstile »
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Painting Plastic?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 03:30:07 pm »

Photobucket will always be a pain, to yourself and others. In the meantime, try something like imgur. Or ImageShack is okay as long as you get the direct link (which you can only access with an account). Otherwise, if take an image from there normally, they'll put a link in the image that pisses people off about as much as Photobucket's "You have exceeded your bandwidth" message image replacement.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 03:34:32 pm by Kadzar »
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 05:04:04 am »

Aye, I will. Although if photobucket stops freezing on me, i'll just upload there and let you all browse, I doubt that many people will see this to be honest, if the views are something to go by.

Update:

Preparation: Covering what I don't want painted

I've started taking pictures of the before painting pictures and i'm taping up the armour now. Reason for tape being that I don't want to get bits of paints where it shouldn't be. I'm also seeing if layered newspaper (i've been told two sheets would do, but i'm using five) works as well. Its meant to be battle worn, so I can afford a few minor mistakes. If I layer the tape right, it doesn't let anything past it. I'm counting on this for the straight lines, as I brought spray paint.

Paint

The paint I brought for this is all purpose spray-paint from B&Q. It's strong enough to be used on barbecues so it won't fleck off in the heat. Its not going to degrade the plastic, so that's also a plus. I've tested it and it does stick to the suits plastic (I have a part I need to glue back on because it snapped off, it was one of the little flicky bits between the leg and the torso, you'll see it later) but I am going to use sandpaper and slightly rough up where i'm painting so it sticks better, considering i've recently cleaned the suit and nothing sticks after a good soap down.

The only downside is that I have a friend who works in B&Q and I didn't realise until she told me (and after I spent £45 on paint and masks for the painting) that she could have gotten me 20% off. Dammit!

Safety

Oh yes, this little thing. My general rules for staying safe is doing this outside, so I don't breathe in too much paint. I'm also wearing a mask (an actual painting mask, woo!) and wearing gloves so it doesn't stick to my skin. 'Tis always a pain when that happens. Oh,  general stuff about can safety to, like not leaving it in the sun then trying to use it etc etc.

Plan for actually painting

So, needless to say at some point i'll have to stop preparing and actually paint this thing. Now, for anyone who doesn't know spray painting isn't just point and click. Its more "swipe, swipe, swipe". What that means is that to avoid any buildup, you spray from the bottom and go straight to the top or from top to the bottom or left to right, right to left, doesn't matter. As long as you pick one and do that over and over again for the layers.

So for example, if i'm painting the helmet, i'm going from the back of the head to the front in one motion. Then for my second layer, I start again from the back of the head, I don't go from the back, to the front, then spray from the front to the back, you just end up building up more at either end and it just looks weird.

Since i'm just doing green stripes right now (I was going to do camo, but i'll leave that until i'm a tad bit more experienced) I can just use one can all the way down.

Final question

So, is newspaper really good at stopping paint getting through, or should I ignore what my family said and continue to use a load of tape. I'll be honest, tape's proven itself to me, but I don't understand how newspaper would stop anything more than a light spray and I intend to layer.

Although I suppose I could use it for the back of the armour where i'm not painting to preserve it.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 05:43:02 am »

You should only use a light spray at a time, so newspaper should be fine. If it's wet enough to soak through newspaper after a coat, you've done it wrong.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 07:00:31 am »

Awesome, I wasn't sure. I'll still probably tape near the direct spray due to paranoia, but the rest will just be a couple layers of newspaper, should save me some tape.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 07:39:54 am by dogstile »

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 06:47:03 am »

Update: Finished  :D

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: Painting storm-trooper Armour - Update: DONE!
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 05:26:02 am »

Do we get to see?
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 07:51:53 am »

Pictures are in the OP.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 08:18:58 am »

Looks good!

How long did it end up taking?

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 03:48:27 pm »

It took about three days. Two of those days were just grabbing supplies and just sat around taping stuff up. I went nuts on the tape and after about 8 hours overall it was finally all done, but then some of it actually came off before the next day so I spent another hour or so repairing it (alongside with my family, who felt a bit sorry for me).

I'll actually get around to putting all the pictures on here next week, i'm just revising a lot as I have exams tomorrow and friday, then i'm off to a festival for the weekend before getting back for my final exam on monday (which is cool, its my best subject, C++) so I don't have the time right now.

If anyone wants is looking at the process through that tumblr I set up, its automatically posting pictures on a day by day basis for me until I get back, so you may have to scroll down a bit before you see the images.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 05:26:23 pm »

Enjoy Download :P down my neck of the woods that is. I live in the outskirts of Derby.

Your suit is amazing.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 06:48:37 am »

Enjoy Download :P down my neck of the woods that is. I live in the outskirts of Derby.

Your suit is amazing.

I'll try, it's gonna be pouring it down apparently, so lots of trying will be needed.

Ah well, moar pictures! I've since just made the gun plain again, but pah, was fun to make :P

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 06:55:51 am »

Yeah it's horrible in Derby/Derbyshire at the minute, been pissing it down all day whilst I'm sat at work.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 06:58:57 am »

Did you make your armor?

If so, I'd like to see you make the main character of Republic Commando, you know, that FPS with a squad of 4 (including your main character) clones?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 07:10:46 am »

Yeah it's horrible in Derby/Derbyshire at the minute, been pissing it down all day whilst I'm sat at work.

I better pick up some waterproofs today then.

Did you make your armor?

If so, I'd like to see you make the main character of Republic Commando, you know, that FPS with a squad of 4 (including your main character) clones?

Not this one, simply painted it. I brought the main armour set already put together (not that i've not had to fix it up due to them putting it together wrong *grumblegrumble*) i'm planning on picking up a kit for the four clones, but that would run me about £1000 for each clone, plus a massive time investment. So i'm thinking of maybe doing a single trooper every year. If I stop drinking (which i'm planning on doing anyway) I should save more than enough money to do so.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 07:31:11 am by dogstile »