Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Diagonal Z-movement  (Read 994 times)

Muddy Mudstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Diagonal Z-movement
« on: May 23, 2012, 07:20:09 am »

If this is a side view:

a#
#b

can a creature (perhaps a flying creature) get from a to b?
For instance, if I build a room on the surface, do I have to extend the roof over the tops of the walls to seal it properly?

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diagonal Z-movement
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 07:59:31 am »

To my knowledge the top of a wall with a constructed floor adjacent to it doesn't leave a gap, in any case it seems to hold water fine IIRC.

I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Muddy Mudstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 08:04:17 am »

To my knowledge the top of a wall with a constructed floor adjacent to it doesn't leave a gap, in any case it seems to hold water fine IIRC.

I found this post from last year:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64258.msg2621127#msg2621127

Which seems to say that the answer is no for water, but yes for flying creatures. "It's hard to locate paths moving between z-levels diagonally, but generally only flyers could use them ..."

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 08:30:17 am »

A wall has a floor on top of it, typically, so if it was a constructed wall it should block fliers.  If it was something like a wall of ice, which doesn't always create the floor on top, I'm not sure if that would block the flier or not.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Muddy Mudstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 08:48:06 am »

A wall has a floor on top of it, typically

The tops of constructed walls display as "floor", but I can build a floor on that floor! So does that free "floor" really work as an obstacle? Can I trust it?

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 09:06:30 am »

Water only moves to a lower level straight down. Flying creatures will be able to move from a to b and vice versa. Non-flying creatures, like alt-moving in adventure mode, may also be able to move from a to b.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 09:08:32 am »

If this is a side view:

a#
#b

can a creature (perhaps a flying creature) get from a to b?
For instance, if I build a room on the surface, do I have to extend the roof over the tops of the walls to seal it properly?

I've seen a forgotten beast fllier get out of the caverns going from b to a, so yep, they can do it.  Now those walls/floors get "extra" sealed.