Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Syndromes and loyalties?  (Read 1282 times)

Mekboy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEGABEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
Syndromes and loyalties?
« on: May 21, 2012, 05:31:23 pm »

Is there any way to get a syndrome make someone break their loyalties and fight their previous allies without killing them and reanimating them? The plan was to have the minions of a race I'm making spread the following syndrome on contact and via their blood:

Code: [Select]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:phyresis]
[SYN_INJECTED][SYN_INGESTED][SYN_CONTACT]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:TESTBUSHMASTER:ALL]
[CE_ADD_TAG:NO_AGING:NOT_LIVING:OPPOSED_TO_LIFE:EXTRAVISION:NOEXERT:NOPAIN:NOBREATHE:NOSTUN:NONAUSEA:NO_DIZZINESS:NO_FEVERS:NOEMOTION:PARALYZEIMMUNE:NOFEAR:NO_EAT:NO_DRINK:NO_SLEEP:NO_PHYS_ATT_GAIN:NO_PHYS_ATT_RUST:NOTHOUGHT:START:0]
[CE_REMOVE_TAG:TRANCES:LIKES_FIGHTING:MISCHIEVOUS:START:0]
[CE_DISPLAY_NAME:NAME:oil-tainted:oil-tainted:oil-tainted:START:0]

The individuals contract the syndrome, but won't attack other untainted individuals. Any ideas why it won't work, or how to fix it?
Quote from: CatalystParadox
Aw, Mekboy! A song for meeeee?
You're so sweet.  Why don't you just come in here so I can give you a hug.
... bring my pants.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
You seem to be under the illusion that we give a shit about what happens to dwarves who are too dumb to live.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Syndromes and loyalties?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 05:37:15 pm »

ADD:CRAZED. He then goes berserk, attacking everyone.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

travellersside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 06:00:25 pm »

Any idea if that causes a loyalty cascade or not?

ydaraishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 06:13:45 pm »

Any idea if that causes a loyalty cascade or not?

[CRAZED] acts like a berserk status, so theoretically it shouldn't cause a loyalty cascade.  There are a few reports of, e.g. cat thralls causing loyalty cascades when killed, though I'm not sure how common those are.

Mekboy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEGABEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 06:16:24 pm »

Wouldn't Crazed make them attack each other though?

I was hoping there was some way to make them join the infectors - like zombie with necromancers.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 06:18:26 pm by Mekboy »
Quote from: CatalystParadox
Aw, Mekboy! A song for meeeee?
You're so sweet.  Why don't you just come in here so I can give you a hug.
... bring my pants.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
You seem to be under the illusion that we give a shit about what happens to dwarves who are too dumb to live.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 08:35:16 pm »

Would like some verification withe the CRAZED tag as well...it won't make them go batshit stabby against everyone? When I tried it in arena mode, they still just stood there looking at each other...just angrier and scarier looking (and probably mouth foaming) I guess.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 08:48:24 pm »

Arena doesnt work, has to be adv or fortress mode. Opposed to life should make them fight against everything without the NOT_LIVING tag though.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 02:10:17 pm »

Just did some !!science!! with the [CRAZED] tag, by giving one caste of dwarves an interaction that caused them to go temporarily berserk periodically.  I'll report my findings:

1.  Creatures with the [CRAZED] tag, whether by default or as a syndrome result, will attack anyone and everyone they see: friends, enemies, giant animals, and other berserk society members alike.

2.  During the time that they are berserk, they are not considered members of the society at all, they will not be listed among your citizens, and killing them while berserk will not cause a loyalty cascade.  If the only remaining citizens have gone berserk, this will result in an immediate 'game over' (this is the reason why I gave the ability to only one caste).

3.  If the syndrome has a limited timespan, once it times out, they will return entirely to being normal members of society.  Even if they are in the middle of a fight with a sane citizen, once the madness wears off, both creatures stop fighting immediately and return to daily work.

4.  The deaths of creatures killed by a berserk individual outside of the view of sane society members will not be reported, and they will be considered 'missing', even if the one who killed them returns to normal.

5.  I am not sure how the justice system treats murders committed by a berserk citizen.  When checking the thoughts of both formerly berserk citizens and non-berserk citizens who witnessed an assault or were assaulted themselves, they both seem to consider the attacks as being committed by an unrelated third party (the thoughts of formerly berserk citizens will not include anything they experienced when berserk, though they will have their victims listed under 'kills').  In Legends mode, berserk creatures who have committed assault will be recorded as enemies or former members of societies, though this does not seem to have an effect during the gameplay itself.

6.  Relationship status is not clearly affected by assaults by berserk creatures - friends will remain friends, and as previously mentioned, once the berserk syndrome ends everyone will simply behave as if nothing had happened.  However, after a period of time, I did spot one non-berserking dwarf attacking a particular periodically-berserking dwarf on sight, even when the periodically-berserking dwarf was in a sane state (she would run away when this happened).  I'm not sure what caused this particular event to happen though (for reference, these two dwarves were the last ones left).

Edit: On second thought, this research may have been faulty, since it all occured outside without any work actually being assigned, it is possible that they could have simply been running away from each other as opposed to 'returning to work'.  Will retest.

6.  I'm not clear on the precise details as far as the loyalty of formerly-berserk citizens is concerned, however, there are times when citizens will treat a formerly berserk citizen as an enemy for all intents and purposes, running away or attacking as per their personality/combat skills.  The key factor, I think, is whether or not they witness the berserker actually murder someone.  I placed several non-berserkers and one periodic-berserker together in a small burrow and they would behave as normal, hanging out together when she was sane and then running off when she went mad, then returning to the burrow after the madness passed, but once she caught and killed one of them, they began treating her as an enemy even when not berserk.  It should be noted that this particular berserker had killed before being assigned to the burrow, and a particular cat had already been attacking her on occasion.  I guess the cat witnessed the murder but nobody believed him...

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 02:27:49 pm »

Even if not accurate, your Science is wonderful! Keep on making dwarfs absolutely nutty, I could really use this for stuff!

I have an idea for a little red humanoid in evil regions that can make dwarfs crazed with a stare. Maybe even evil rains that cause a downfall of psychoactive, rage-inducing liquid.
I usually think of Armok as the pure essence of FUCK YOU!